Pages

▼

Monday, September 28, 2026

Review: Something About September by Julia McKay

 
Something About September by Julia McKay

Something About September by Julia McKay
Publication Date: August 18th 2026 by G.P. Putnam's Sons
Pages: 320
Source: Publisher
Rating: ★★★★

My Thoughts:
Something About September was a sweet second-chance romance packed with cozy fall vibes: a pumpkin contest, hay maze adventures, sweater weather, hot apple cider, and plenty of small-town charm!
 
After her grandmother’s death, Rebecca returns to Bramley Hollow with thirty days to fix up the diner she inherited. Unfortunately, the only available contractor is Cort Adams, her high school crush, whom she’s been avoiding after an embarrassing encounter.
 
Beyond the romance, I appreciated Rebecca’s journey through grief, doubts about her career, and figuring out what she wants next. I also loved the support she received from her bestie Sabrina and Sabrina’s family.
 
Rebecca and Cort’s romance was full of palpable longing. A little more honesty and fewer assumptions would’ve helped, but the angst still remained pretty low. I really enjoyed their journey to a sweet, satisfying HEA!

4 Stars

Book Description: 

Cozy up with your pumpkin spiced latte and a slice of apple pie, because it's time to fall in love in Bramley Hollow...

A fall-inspired second-chance romance about a woman who returns home after inheriting her grandmother’s diner, only to discover the contractor she must hire was her high school crush.


Sweater weather is better together.

Rebecca Macintosh has always felt that there’s just something about September—nostalgia, crisp mornings, and possibility. But not this year. Rebecca has thirty days to return home to fix up her late grandmother’s diner or face the consequences. And the only contractor in town? Cort Adams. The man who rejected her one year ago. He’s somehow even better looking as a single dad than when he was the high school football star she once tutored. She’d been hoping to avoid him forever.

As the golden leaves start to fall, Rebecca may find that there’s more to her hometown—and to Cort—than she’d realized, and that the dreams she’s been chasing might have been the wrong ones. Could a spark kindle hot enough in the cool autumn air to call Rebecca home for good?

14 comments:

  1. Pretty low angst is a win, right? While I don't read romance, I know that sometimes conflicts are created with the sole purpose of stretching the plot...And I love that this one focuses on the protagonist's journey at least as much as it does on the romance itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm not a fan of angst or conflict just to stretch the plot! I did like that the romance wasn't the entire focus.

      Delete
  2. I read this one earlier this month and thought it had some cute moments. I liked Rebecca's friendship with Sabrina. I didn't love the miscommunication moments with her and Cort, or that dumb third act breakup. And I kind of wish Cort's son had played a bigger role. Probably why I only gave it 3 stars. But I did like the fall vibes. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I didn't like the miscommunication either. A simple conversation could've fixed it. I was glad the third act break up didn't last long. I did love the fall vibes, too! :)

      Delete
  3. Glad you liked it. I'm just not reading this sort at the moment. I'm moody??

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been picking up much romance either, but this was sent and so I thought I'd give it a shot. I loved all the fall vibes and heartwarming story!

      Delete
  4. Yes, this does look like a comfy fall romance to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea behind the title, that there's just something about September: nostalgia, crisp mornings and a sense of possibility. I feel exactly the same about this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dogs, Boys, and Other Things I've Cried About has such a great title. I hope it helps you out of your slump.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo this sounds perfect for fall. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete