I Am the Monster Under the Bed by Emily Zinnikas
Publication Date: September 15th 2026 by St. Martin's Press & Macmillan Audio
Pages: 320
Audio Book Length: 12hrs 34min
Narrator: Jenn Lee
Source: Publishers
Rating: ★★★★
My
Thoughts:
When Willa was in high school, she was the only survivor
after six people were murdered in the woods. Even though she was cleared as a
suspect, the town still blamed her. After graduating, she moved away, changed
her name, and became a successful artist. She's built a quiet life for herself
until someone leaks her identity and the media descends on her home.
When she learns that her beloved art teacher has died,
Willa decides to return to her hometown for the funeral. She'll be escaping the
media frenzy, but she'll also be going back to a place where most people
despise her.
I was freaked out by the flashbacks to Willa's past. I
was enraged that her parents didn't believe her about the strange things
happening in their house. I'd have been terrified! I was also annoyed by the
way the town treated her. There was a lot going on, but everything came
together in the end.
For most of the story, I Am the Monster Under the Bed
is a mystery with horror elements, but things get wild by the end! I was
completely riveted, worried about Willa, and wondering how everything would
work out. This is a great read to add to your spooky TBR.
I alternated between reading and listening to the
audiobook and would recommend either version. Jenn Lee did a fantastic job
bringing the characters to life, performing both male and female voices across
a range of ages with just the right emotions.
4 Stars
TIME ONLY MAKES THE NIGHTMARE MORE REAL.
Something lives under Willa’s bed. As an adult, her fondest childhood memories are of the invisible entity under her bed who taught her how to read. Now thirty-two, Willa is a reclusive but successful painter until a bombshell news report exposes her identity as the controversial survivor of the unsolved Rapture Mystery Slayings, a small-town tragedy that splashed across headlines during her senior year of high school. Six teenagers died in the woods while Willa walked free, and everyone thinks she killed them.
When an old classmate calls about a funeral, Willa reluctantly travels to her sleepy hometown, where the possessed forest that stole her friends looms. The trees whistle for her attention, but she knows better than to listen. And the unexplained knocking from the shadows in the basement of her decaying childhood home is honestly the least of her problems.
As her past pulls her back to the place she swore she’d never return, Willa is drawn toward the monster she left behind—and becoming the villain her hometown has always believed her to be.


What lives under her bed?!
ReplyDeleteWouldn't you like to know! Haha!
Delete"For most of the story, I Am the Monster Under the Bed is a mystery with horror elements, but things get wild by the end!"
ReplyDeleteI assume you mean, supernatural wild? But the supernatural part stays on the backdrop for the rest of the book?
It does stay on the periphery with only brief mentions as the story unfolds.
DeleteI wondered about this. I like that it's both horror and twisty.
ReplyDeleteIt was a nice and spooky one!
DeleteNice review! I always wonder about ones you choose which I didn't.
ReplyDeleteAnne - Books of My Heart
I wonder the same about your books, too, Anne! Usually I want to add whatever you've read!
Delete