Thursday, September 25, 2014

Review: Unlit Star by Lindy Zart

Unlit Star by Lindy Zart
Published August 20th 2014
We are not guaranteed anything, not even this life.

Rivers Young is the popular guy untouchable by reality. He is like a star—bright, consuming, otherworldly. The thing about stars, though, is that they eventually fall, and he is no different.

He falls far and he falls hard.

Delilah Bana is the outcast enshrouded in all of life's ironies. Alone, in the dark, like dusk as it falls on the world. When Rivers hits the ground, she is the night that catches him. In the darkness, they meld into something beautiful that shines like the sun.

Only, the greater the star is, the shorter its lifespan.

My Thoughts
Rivers Young was at the top of his high school class. He was a star athlete and commanded the crowd with his presence. Delilah Bana couldn't have been lower on the totem pole if she tried, which in a way you can say she did. She never conformed to the norm and her style was always a bit on the odd and colorful side. However, as life sometimes dictates high school notoriety never lasts and popularity and good fortune sometimes burns out.

After Rivers falls into a deep hole of depression caused by a boating accident that leaves him scarred and unable to benefit from the sports scholarship he earned to a top college, Delilah the class pariah takes a job for his mother and soon finds herself falling for the once full-of-life Rivers.

There were several parts of the novel that I absolutely enjoyed. I always appreciate a good self-revelation that comes with character growth and I think Rivers portrayed that in spades. I loved his character! I feel he had every right to wallow his self-pity because when he reveals what truly upset him most about the accident (view spoiler), I would be broken too!

However, there was an aspect of the story I seemed to have struggled with a bit. I felt like I never truly came to know Delilah. She was so many things to different people… To Rivers's mother she was compassionate and funny. To her own mother she was distant and cold at times. To Rivers she was suddenly head over heals and a bit erratic. I often like the multi-layered characters but with Delilah I felt lost.

Unlit Star was a good story and despite the ending, which I could have gone either way with, I think the author really showed she can captivate an audience. Nicely done!
3.5 Suns

1 comment:

  1. Well this sounds like a great read, nonetheless
    great review
    Your reader
    Soma R.

    ReplyDelete