Thursday, December 29, 2016

Review: Force of Temptation by Suzanne Wright


Publication Date: December 13th 2016 by Montlake Romance
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo

About the book:

Harley Vincent is resigned to life in the human world. Sure, being a margay shifter is half her nature, but life among humans gives her the freedom to roam and do as she pleases. That is, until anti-shifter extremists target her, putting her life in immediate danger.
When an old acquaintance and onetime fling, Jesse Dalton, shows up to offer the protection of his pack, Harley hesitates. She may have feelings for Jesse that go beyond their one-night stand, but life among shifters means giving over her independence to the needs of pack. Plus Mercury Pack has its own threat to face: a rich half-shifter is determined to claim their territory at any cost.
Jesse, who lost his true mate as a child, has wanted Harley since their night together, and he’s not letting her go again. They may not be destined for each other, but he knows she belongs to him and with his pack. Even if he can convince her to join him now, can he convince her to stay?
My Thoughts:
After reading the synopsis I wondered if Suzanne Wright would be able to sell me on the rightness, and intensity of Harley and Jesse’s romance, just as much as the other true mate couples featured previously.  I shouldn’t have worried, because their connection was every bit as powerful and electric as a true mated pair!

True mates are shifters who are destined to be together, perfect for each other, the other half of a one’s soul. But as the description says, Jesse lost his true mate when he was a child, before they were ever involved, so IMO it didn’t make me feel like Harley would always be second choice. Plus, an imprinted mated couple can have the same connection (that is, if everything takes) that a true mated couple has, so after finding that out I was convinced Harley and Jesse had a chance. 

Jesse and Harley have a history, and Jesse’s always admired and longed for the strong, feline shifter.  She was friends with his sister Mia, tried to help her get off her addiction to drugs, but couldn’t.  Jesse and Harley had one night of passion, but sensing Harley wasn’t ready for a commitment, he let her run off but kept tabs on her until circumstances throw them together again.  I was thrilled Jesse was determined to claim Harley and keep her safe, but I could understand that Harley needed to be sure that she could be as important to him as his true mate.  Harley needed time to for trust to form, and let barriers between them come down, and I thought that was very reasonable. As far as Jesse’s devotion, there were no doubts in my mind, so it made rooting for them as a couple very easy. 

Coming together would be a challenge under stress free circumstances, but Jesse’s pack has problems of their own. Not only are there some adjustments in accepting Harley into the pack, a half-shifter creates security issues by buying the land next to their territory with plans to develop into a hotel. It becomes apparent that this half-shifter has ulterior (malicious) motives, making me very uneasy for the pack.  Some dangerous situations had me holding my breath a few times!

I always know I’m going to have a sizzling read when I pick up one of Ms. Wright’s romances, but I think Force of Temptation went up an extra level of hot!  Habanero pepper level of spicy? Maybe more! There tortuous games for domination were a fun, delicious thrill!

As a side note, I LOVE cats (yes, I’m that crazy cat lady!) and so the addition of Harley’s shifter side being a dangerous Margay cat was a treat!  Such a pretty kitty!


Margays
(click on image for photo sharing link courtesy of Flickr)

Ms. Wright captured and incorporated a cat’s fascinating behaviors in this installment.  That wasn’t the only other species she added, in the past the stories have focused mainly on the wolves, and I like the new additional varieties!  

I loved Force of Temptation! The captivating mix of intense, primal shifter connection with danger, action, and fun pack antics makes this series a must read for me! 

The Mercury Pack and Phoenix Pack are very tight, bonded packs with members crossing back and forth. I can't wait for the next book, Fierce Obsession, which will feature Riley, a raven shifter, and Tao, a Phoenix Pack Enforcer.

4.5 Suns





Connect with Suzanne Wright:

Website | Facebook Goodreads | Twitter



2 comments:

  1. Great review! I've actually been wanting to read a shifter novel since I haven't read one (aside from The Others) in so long. This sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd start with Kate Daniels or Mercy Thompson for a truly phenomenal shifter series! Thanks Eva! :)

      Delete