Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Review: My Roommate's Girl by Julianna Keyes


Publication Date: June 12th 2017 
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble 

About the book:

The day a judge gave me the choice between going to prison or going to college was the day I vowed to stop stealing. Never again would I see something beautiful and beyond my means and take it, just because I wanted it. Just because I could.
When I moved in with Jerry, it was with good intentions. I needed a place to live while I got my degree, and he needed a roommate.

Then I saw Aster.
Blond and beautiful, good, pure, sweet, smart…and Jerry’s girlfriend. She was everything I never thought I could have. Except…maybe I can.
So I put a plan into action. Yeah, I’d probably go to hell, but it would be worth it. I wanted Aster. I wanted her yesterday and tomorrow and every possible way.
But you know what they say.
Be careful what you wish for…because you just might get it.

My Thoughts:
I had high hopes for My Roommate’s Girl in spite of the premise, because I adored Julianna Keyes’ Undecided.  She wrote amazing chemistry, characters and plot in Undecided and even though I had a few issues with Undeclared I still enjoyed it.  My Roommate’s Girl was something else entirely for me.  I was expecting to be upset with Aiden’s actions in the beginning, because hey, there’s nothing good about plotting to steal another guy’s girl, but I thought I’d get a big character turn around, and he’d redeem himself by the end.  I didn’t really get that.  Yes, I did feel a little bit of remorse on Aiden’s part for his actions and the grief it caused Aster and Jerry, but not much.

Aiden never came off as a particularly nice guy; he seemed mainly out for his own selfish interests without much thought for other people.  I can’t honestly say what Aster saw in him, I didn’t feel like he stood out in any way, except that he got a second chance with a dream scholarship after messing up big time in his teenage years.  Did he appreciate that second chance? Yes, but I don’t think he really embraced it, and it felt like he was just doing the minimum to keep in the program and get by.  The move he pulled on Jerry, (Aster’s boyfriend in the beginning and Aiden’s roommate), was so completely selfish and such a dick move! Talk about entrapment.  I think Aster should’ve given poor Jerry a second chance, especially after how understanding and accepting he ended up being with her in the end.  I kept waiting for Aiden to somehow show me that he was worth all the trouble he caused.  I don’t ever feel like he completely redeemed himself and I was supremely disappointed with his actions at about the 80% mark. 

I didn’t feel much in the way of chemistry to sway my opinion and feelings, either.   Oh, well. Not every book will work for every reader.  Onto the next one.

2 Suns





No comments:

Post a Comment