Monday, April 8, 2019

Review: A Dangerous Collaboration by Deanna Raybourn


Publication Date: March 12th 2019 by Berkley
Pages: 336
Source: ARC provided by publisher and purchased audio copy
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Audible

About the book:

Victorian adventuress Veronica Speedwell is whisked off to a remote island off the tip of Cornwall when her natural historian colleague Stoker's brother calls in a favor. On the pretext of wanting a companion to accompany him to Lord Malcolm Romilly's house party, Tiberius persuades Veronica to pose as his fiancée--much to Stoker's chagrin. But upon arriving, it becomes clear that the party is not as innocent as it had seemed. Every invited guest has a connection to Romilly's wife, Rosamund, who disappeared on her wedding day three years ago, and a dramatic dinner proves she is very much on her husband's mind.

As spectral figures, ghostly music, and mysterious threats begin to plague the partygoers, Veronica enlists Stoker's help to discover the host's true motivations. And as they investigate, it becomes clear that there are numerous mysteries surrounding the Romilly estate, and every person present has a motive to kill Rosamund...

My Thoughts:
I’ve been having fun with the Veronica Speedwell series, but I have to say these last two books (3 & 4) have been my favorite to date. I do love the mysteries, and the modern clever woman Veronica presents, but I love the last two because we are finally getting somewhere with the romance between Stoker and Veronica!

In A Treacherous Curse (the previous book) Stroker’s tumultuous past is revealed and mostly settled. Veronica is still skittish about getting involved with Stoker, worried that he still carried feelings for his ex-wife, and sort of sabotage’s herself in the process.  Fear not, Stoker seems to know Veronica better than she knows herself. Their relationship is the highlight for me!  These two are close and united even when they’re in a bit of a snit with each other.  There’s a begrudging possessiveness, they don’t want to feel jealous but can’t help it, even when there’s no serious competition. I love the obvious passion and intensity between them, their cheeky banter is a wicked delight! Cementing their connection is their shared zeal for science.  I was over the moon with how things turned out by the end!

There is a tragic romance within the current mystery (no, not Veronica and Stoker) and I have to say that while my heart broke for the injured male, I felt worse for the woman that bore the effects of his heartbreak more! (Highlight for spoiler)I felt so bad for Tiberius’ wife! No woman wants to be second choice and she paid dearly for it! I felt more for her than Rosamund, who came off as a selfish, mercenary woman.   (End of spoiler)  It was a tragedy all around.

I can’t wait for the next book, as a Jack the Ripper type seems to be the villain, and I’m eager to see how Veronica and Stoker will take on this evil as they settle into a new understanding.

I alternatively read and listened to this book, and I can’t recommend the audio narration more! Angele Masters’ performance was perfection!

4.5 Suns



22 comments:

  1. I SO want to read that spoiler, but I shall NOT. I so want to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to read it after you finish. I'd like to know what you think. :)

      Delete
  2. I adore this series and it just keeps getting better and better! So glad you loved this as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series and agree they keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to skip the spoilers, but great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when you find a series to love, that gets better with each book. Veronica and Stoker's romance sounds like the kind of romance I enjoy read if about; intense, passionate, cheeky, etc. I'm glad that even though Veronica sabotaged herself in the previous book, Stoker knew her better than she knew herself. He sounds like a swoon-worthy male lead! Great Review Rachel!

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  6. I confess that the first half of this book drove me nuts. I was so done with their dinking around. But the end... sigh. Agree about that spoiler stuff. I get Tiberius so much better now. Can't wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, although this one wasn't as bad a book two! I was really annoyed with Veronica in that one. I am completely done with their back and forth! I hope they settle into a relationship, maybe with some sniping back and forth, but ultimately as a united couple.

      Delete
  7. This one was my favorite of the series so far as well. I loved that scene on the rock with Stoker and Veronica. I am also looking forward to the next volume with Jack the Ripper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see these covers and always want to read them! Glad this was a hit! Maybe I'll try the audios.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed books 3 and 4 in this series. I am not sure which one was my favorite. I thought it was great to see some progress in the relationship between Veronica and Stoker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone seems to be loving this series, I will definitely be adding it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so nice when they keep getting better like that. Whew on the tragic romance not being the main couple

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to start this series. Great review! Thanks so much for introducing me to this author.

    ReplyDelete