Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Read-Along Re-Read Review: Storm Cursed by Patricia Briggs



Publication Date: May 7th 2019 by Ace
Pages: 384
Narrator: Lorelei King
Audiobook Length: 10hrs 15min
Source: Publisher and purchased audio copy
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Audible

I originally posted this on the blog last year, but as part of my read along with Anne at Books of My Heart I'm re-posting my original review with some thoughts upon re-read. Anne has a grand prize giveaway featured with the read along so hop on over and check it out!

Mercy Thompson continues to be one of my two favorite Urban Fantasy series'! The audios are perfection!

My Thoughts:
Re-read by audio October 25th 2020
Love this series a little more with every re-read! As usual I glean more details that I somehow missed the first time around. Listened to the entire book in one day. Long road trip and then couldn't stop listening when we got home!
 
Original review posted on the blog May 16, 2019:
It seems witches are the issue in Storm Cursed, the newest Mercy Thompson installment. Same with the latest Alpha & Omega (a companion series), Burn Bright. And I think they’re going to be important in the books to come. While it’s not necessary to read Burn Bright before Storm Cursed there are a few connecting dots between the two books. I don’t want to detail the plot because I think it’s best going in not knowing much, but as soon as I started reading I didn’t want to stop! I will say Sherwood Post, Wulfe, Zee, Tad, Elizaveta were big players in this installment, and there are some intriguing surprises.

Mercy Thompson is a series that is consistently amazing and keeps me wishing for more even when the series is at eleven books! That’s not even counting the companion series, Alpha & Omega. I just recently did a re-read of both series, one right after the other, that’s how good it is! Patricia Briggs’ writing is smart, and her stories are well-plotted. I feel like she examines the motivations of each of her characters before setting them on a path of action. Even the fight scenes are well-choreographed and exciting. The relationship between Adam and Mercy is strong, they both lean on each other for support without question, and there’s always an undercurrent of passionate simmering under the surface!

Mercy Thompson is one of my all-time favorite urban fantasy series, and if you haven’t picked it up you are missing out! Best to start at the beginning and read the books in order. I have an e-ARC, but I also bought an audio copy and that’s how I ended up “reading”. Lorelei King’s narration is perfection! Her performance of both her male and female voices are amazing, and her comedic timing when there’s humor is spot on! 

4.5 Suns



8 comments:

  1. Excellent review Rachel! This is one of my favorite books in the series. Thanks for the shout-out to the Read-along. I'm enjoying it and as you said, picking up details I missed before.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, all my love to Mercy!! She rocks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you...this is one of my most favorite urban fantasy series, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It says a lot that after several re-reads it holds up, and I enjoy it even more.

      Delete
  4. I got so much more out of my re-listen too even though this was the most recent of the books for me. Loved getting the extras on Sherwood. And, yes, witches, they seem to be pushing even the fae out for plotting up some intrigue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think out of all the baddies, the witches frighten me the most. Maybe it's how the black ones get their power. I wonder how it'll all play out.

      Delete