Thursday, October 14, 2021

Review: Aspen Crossroads by Janine Rosche

 

Aspen Crossroads (Whisper Canyon #1) by Janine Rosche
Publication Date: August 24th 2021 by Berkley Books
Pages: 352
Source: Publisher
Rating: 

My Thoughts:
Jace Daring has come to Whispering Canyon to start up a farm-to-table restaurant employing women who’ve been rescued out of trafficking or other at-risk situations. The company behind this set-up is committed to helping women get on their feet financially while providing mental and emotional support as they work towards their goals. For this, Jace needs to find a counselor to work with the women, and even though he feels an inconvenient attraction to Haven, she fits the bill perfectly.  

Haven Haviland shut down her counseling practice after a mistake that makes her question her judgement. So far, she’s had no luck finding other employment, until she sees the ad for Aspen Crossroads. Haven would love to help these women who’ve gone through so much, struck by all the hardships they’ve had to endure, but it’s no easy task. She also worries over her attraction to Jace hoping it won’t complicate her position.

Jace was reluctant to come to Whispering Canyon because his mother’s history in the town, and it’s a painful mystery to unravel for him. He was a sweetheart through and through and my heart broke for all that he and his mother went through.  He was a bit unreasonably committed to moving onto the next job and leaving, but as this is a romance, I knew the situation would somehow work out.

Most of the folks in Whispering Canyon were supportive, but here were a few judgmental people, and I felt bad that Haven was tainted by her mother’s past behavior, but I was outraged even more by the self-righteous Mayor Trent Garrison! A true villain in this story, hellbent on making Haven miserable and running Jace out of town. I loved how Jace and Haven didn’t allow him to impact their lives in any real way, however, I eagerly awaited his comeuppance!  

I don’t read Christian Romance for the most part, but I’ve read and enjoyed another story by Janine Rosche. I didn’t feel like the story was specific or preachy.

Aspen Crossroads was a heartwarming story of two people overcoming adversity, reconciling the past and falling in love. I hope we get a story focused on Haven’s brother Daniel and Lizzie next.

4 Stars


Book Description:

To protect those most vulnerable, Haven Haviland must trust her heart--and her regrets--to a mysterious newcomer in this moving contemporary romance.

Few in the community of Whisper Canyon have actually met Jace Daring, a handsome recluse who lives at Aspen Crossroads, the farm at the edge of town. But that doesn't stop the rumors about the multiple women who live with him. He must protect the truth--that his farm-to-table restaurant will provide new livelihoods for women rescued from human trafficking--or he risks the safety and futures of those relying on him. But he can't do it alone.

Haven Haviland has always been everyone's safe place to fall until one mistake closes her counseling practice and leaves her open to the town's gossip. Trusting men has gotten her in trouble before. However, accepting Jace's job offer to mentor the rescued women seems like the perfect way to right her wrongs.

When the mayor's campaign to clean up Whisper Canyon targets Aspen Crossroads, the restaurant comes under fire, dangers from the women's pasts are awakened, and Haven's sins are exposed for all to see. Jace would sacrifice himself to save Haven and the women under his care, but his efforts might not be enough. And in the end, it might not be the women most in need of saving after all.


19 comments:

  1. Now, that is a really cool background of him doing that for those women and her wanting to help. Sometimes a character really gets under my craw and I love seeing them get theirs. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's great when they get what's coming to them, even if that sounds a little petty of me, lol!

      Delete
  2. How interesting that he runs a business for trafficked women. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always on the lookout for good Christian romance, and this one sounds delightful. I love a charming romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not on the lookout for them, but I did enjoy this one.

      Delete
  4. I don't read Christian romance and I'm reading less romance this year than usual. Excellent review! This one sounds like a good one.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a lot of mysteries or thrillers as well, but they usually have a bit of romance. Yeah, I would say for the most part I don't read Christian romance, but I've read maybe four or five in the past? Not looking for them, but the story sounded really good.

      Delete
  5. The cover is giving off wonderful fall vibes! I love it! I don't read Christian novels at all but I'm glad you enjoyed this one <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I loved the cover! Yeah, for the most part I don't either. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow! That premise made me stop for a second. I can get behind a heroine who has that sort of thing in her heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to give Christian romance a wide berth but I really do like the sound of this story. The mayor sounds perfectly horrible but Jace seems like an absolute sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Tanya, but I didn't have any issues with this one. The author was very general about faith and it was really a very small part of the story. Yep that mayor was a self-righteous, hypocrite. The worst kind, IMO.

      Delete
  8. I love the idea of farm to table restaurants and eating more healthy. this sounds so cute. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought I commented but it seems to have disappeared. I don't usually read this type of book but it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete