Sunday, July 10, 2022

Sunday Post #168

 

The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated reviewer book blog, and is a post to recap my bookish and non-bookish things from the last week.

We're having a heat wave here in Northern California, but still not as hot as down south would be. Upper 90s this week. Thankfully, there's a lot of trees around our house so it stays relatively cool and I only have to run the A/C in the afternoon and right before I go to bed so I can sleep. I can't sleep if I'm hot. 

I did a bunch of planting in the backyard, plants that are deer resistant like butterfly bush, lavender, yarrow, and a bunch of creeping fig vines that will cover the stone on our retaining wall. 

Yesterday we sampled a neighborhood breakfast/lunch place just one mile down the road, and a winery 1.4 miles from our house. Both were excellent! The winery specialized in Italian varietals and the owner/winemaker poured and told us all about how he chose the area to grow his wine. Very interesting and the wine was surprisingly good! 

Read:
Click on cover for Goodreads link:

I didn't get a lot of reading done, but I am almost finished with two more books. I LOVED The Bodyguard so much! I'm happy I made it my BOTM so I have a hardcover for my shelves. Katherine Center's covers are so very pretty!

Received/Purchased/Library Lend:


I almost didn't take Luck & Last Resorts because I'm worried Nina will try my patience. In the end I couldn't resist. We'll see. Love the colors on the cover, though. It just screams summer read to me.

Instagram:






How was your week?




30 comments:

  1. That's awesome you found a good winery so close to your house. I'm jealous. Ohio doesn't really have good wineries. We aren't know for growing grapes! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are spoiled here in California with wineries all over the state. I guess Ohio probably wouldn't be known for wineries, but they are sure popping up all over the US so you never know!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you are finding the area has excellent places to eat and drink. I am always so excited planning where plants will go in a new yard. Enjoy!

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love figuring out my garden too. I have a lot of plans!

      Delete
  3. That winery sounds excellent. And so close too. Nice. Sounds like you're settling in nicely! It's been hot here too although not quite that bad. Our AC went out but luckily was a fairly easy fix. always something! lol

    The Megan Miranda looks good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy it was a good one too! Oh, so glad to hear your A/C was an easy fix! I can't live without one during the summer! I hope the MM is a good one! I've had hits and misses with her. Crossing my fingers. :)

      Delete
  4. I can't sleep if I'm hot either. I have a window AC in my bedroom and a ceiling fan. It's 110 today. Too darn hot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so eager to get more of Nina's story. That breakup broke my heart. The Bodyguard WAS so good, as all Center's books are. The cover is pretty, but I am sad it doesn't match the glow ups of her old books and the more recent releases with just flowers and text.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read the parts with Nina again to refresh my memory. Yes, it would've been nice if it matched, but it still is pretty.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear The Bodyguard was good, I will be reading it soon. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy that the Bodyguard was such a win for you! I know many love her works so much. Planting can be such fun. I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Katherine Center's last few books have been wonderful! I love the results of planting. Not the actual planting so much, lol! Especially in the heat! :)

      Delete
  8. We're in a stupid heatwave, too. 100+ temps all week. Yuck. At least you have good books to read. I'm really looking forward to reading The Bodyguard! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! I'm not a fan of the summer temps. :( Hope you love The Bodyguard, too! Stay cool, Lark! :)

      Delete
  9. Have a great week. Stay cool. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't imagine turning on the AC only in the afternoons. We turn on the central air in March and it's usually on until November at least. lol I've been hearing great things about The Bodyguard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how it was for me down South. I'm happy for the change. Ask me how I feel when Winter hits. Not used to snow even though there's supposedly not that much here, lol!

      Delete
  11. Love in the Time of Serial Killers is on my wish list!! Hope it's a good one. We had a heat wave for awhile where I live, but thankfully it's getting a little better.

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we both love it, Lauren! It's supposed to cool off here next week, and cool off as in high 80s instead of high 90s, but I guess that's summer for you. Stay cool! :)

      Delete
  12. It's been over 100 pretty much every day here for like two weeks. I'm already over summer and can't wait for autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, over 100 sucks! Hope it cools down for you Carrie!

      Delete
  13. Nice picks for your backyard garden and glad you found a lovely cafe and winery close by. I've not read her books, but I will get to them eventually. The Bodyguard looks good.

    Have a good week, Rachel!

    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophia! Hope you enjoy Katherine Center sometime soon! You too! :)

      Delete
  14. That's so cool that you have a winery so close to your home. I would love that. Also glad to hear you loved The Bodyguard since that was one of my BOTM picks this month.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deer resistant you say, I must google those

    ReplyDelete