Thursday, March 23, 2023

Review: A Sinister Revenge by Deanna Raybourn

 

A Sinister Revenge (Veronica Speedwell #8) by Deanna Raybourn
Publication Date: March 7th 2023 by Berkley
Pages: 336
Source: Publisher 
Rating: 
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
In the last book Veronica and Stoker parted ways, Veronica to hunt butterfly collections in Italy with Tiberius, Stoker’s brother, and Stoker off to hunt a specimen in Germany. However, a threat to Tiberius and the Seven Sinners, a group of Tiberius’ old friends bring them all back together again to the family estate, Cherboys, in Devon to expose the killer. Years ago while vacationing at Cherboys one of their members fell off a cliff to their death, a tragedy ruled an terrible accident, but now an unknown is claiming he was murdered and that one of them were responsible. So far, two members have died in recent “accidents” and there are three left including Tiberius. Tiberius asked for Veronica and Stoker’s help to unmask the killer before anyone else dies.

There’s no shortage of suspects when Tiberius invites the surviving members for a stay. Veronica and Stoker go about their investigation separately as Stoker is still hurt by Veronica and doesn’t want to just sweep the past events under the rug. I have to say I didn’t blame him. In the past books Veronica has been a little frustrating to me, whereas Stroker gives his all to her, she hold back. It was a little disappointing they weren’t working together for much of the book, but I did enjoy the sleuthing. Veronica has a sharp, humorous mind so I always enjoy her conversations and her mental musings. The writing is very witty.

The descriptions of Cherboys by the cliffs of Devon and the village of Dearsley sounded beautiful and each of the characters assembled were interesting! I kept trying to figure out the culprit right along with Veronica. I was happy with how all things turned out, Veronica finally coming to some personal revelations and the case was wrapped up as well. A Sinister Revenge is book eight in the series and it’s one that needs to read in order. I read an e-copy, but the audios narrated by Angèle Masters are a fantastic way to go too!

4 Stars


Book Description:

Veronica must find and stop a devious killer when a group of old friends is targeted for death in this new adventure from the New York Times bestselling and Edgar Award–nominated author Deanna Raybourn.

Veronica’s natural-historian beau, Stoker, has been away in Bavaria for months and their relationship is at an impasse. But when Veronica shows up before him with his brother, Tiberius, Lord Templeton-Vane, he is lured back home by an intriguing job offer: preparing an iguanodon for a very special dinner party.

Tiberius has received a cryptic message—along with the obituaries of two recently deceased members of his old group of friends, the Seven Sinners—that he too should get his affairs in order. Realizing he is in grave danger but not knowing why, he plans a reunion party for the remaining Sinners at his family estate to lure the killer out while Veronica and Stoker investigate.

As the guests arrive and settle in, the evening’s events turn deadly. More clues come to light, leading Veronica, Stoker, and Tiberius to uncover a shared past among the Sinners that has led to the fatal present. But the truth might be far more sinister than what they were prepared for.


12 comments:

  1. I'm behind in this series (surprise!) but I do enjoy the characters and Raybourn's writing. I'm glad you liked the way this one turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get behind too, but that means I can binge read the books so that's a plus! :)

      Delete
  2. I plan to read this series someday. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good. Great to know you should read this series in order. I tend to read out of order sometimes. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, they are both stubborn. So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a series I've been wanting to try. I love the sound of these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also didn't appreciate their separation so much. I'm looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful review, Rachel. I haven't started this series yet, but the audiobooks are available through my library, so I will give it a go. Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this one too. Terrific review, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds worthwhile reading all the books in the series! Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's an interesting decision to make with respect to Stroker and Veronica not working as closely in this book. At least the sleuthing was still great.

    ReplyDelete