Saturday, March 23, 2024

Sunday Post #244

 


The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated reviewer book blog, and is a post to recap my bookish and non-bookish things from the last week. I'm also linking up to The Sunday Salon hosted by Deb Nance @Readerbuzz.


Came back from Cancun late Tuesday night. A very long day of travel. Of course I came down with a cold and now I'm living on Day and NightQuil. We had a good time there. It was tropical, hot and a lot going on with four kids under 10 in our group. We were at the pool, the beach, and went to a water park that was so much fun! My grandson (8 yrs old), my daughter and I went on this one ride that had a sheer drop-off that really got your heart pounding! We went on it 5 times in a row, my grandson loved it so much. Looking at the photos they capture as you drop were so hilarious! The look of utter terror on our faces, hair flying and so on, had us laughing our heads off! 

I only have a couple of photos that didn't include us below. The hotel was gorgeous sitting right on the beach, but there were rivers throughout as well. Lots of different pools and restaurants. The cave restaurant was in Playa del Carmen, and it was so hot that we only had a drink and then left to eat somewhere else. I thought it'd be cooler being an underground cave.

One of the rivers at the hotel

Cave restaurant
Another pic of the cave restaurant 

 At home we've had some sunny days, but it's back to rain today (Saturday). I have to work tomorrow (Sunday) to cover for someone and then we meet my sister to go out to dinner. I'm a little out of whack with my routine since coming back and it doesn't help I have to work a day on the weekend. 

Daffodils and vinca in front of our garage.

Peanut enjoying a little respite from the rain

Puzzle I just finished with "help"


I leave for Texas on Thursday to watch my grandkids while my daughter and SIL go on an anniversary trip. My daughter texted me some photos of the bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush flowers that are blooming everywhere, so I'm excited to see them in person!

Read:
(Click on cover for Goodreads link)


My reading for 2 weeks. I hoped to get more in. I listened to A Soupcon of Poison, the prequel novella to A Below Stairs Mystery, to see if I wanted to download an invite of Speculations in Sin, book 7 in the series. I loved it so now I just need to read all six before diving in! 

A Grave Robbery by Deanna Raybourne: 4 Stars



Received/Purchased/Library Lend:



Thank you to Berkley and Minotaur Books!

Instagram:






How was your week?




40 comments:

  1. Too bad vacations sometimes end in colds or coughs. Glad you enjoyed Cancun though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful trip but sorry you came back with a cold. Not the souvenir you wanted! Glad to see you've got some good reading in. My reading has been at a snails pace the last week. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely not the souvenir I wanted to take home, lol! The reading is two weeks worth, so I wasn't reading fast either! Not a whole lot of time to read.

      Delete
  3. You are brave. You couldn't get me on that ride you described once, never mind five times. Grandma of the year.That cave restaurant looks cool even if it wasn't cool (temperature)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! It was a little scary, but it was fun at the same time. More fun because my grandson loved it so much! It was fun seeing him so exhilarated!

      Delete
  4. It looks beautiful there. I would have enjoyed the cave restaurant, it looks really neat. Happy Sunday, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a wonderful vacation! Spring is in full bloom here in Texas, so I'm excited for you to get to experience the wildflowers in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see it! The weather looks like it'll be nice when I'm there. It'll be raining at home!

      Delete
  6. Cancun looks amazing - particularly that cave restaurant! I'm struck at how similar your spring flower border is to the ones in the UK - though we now get vinca flowering throughout the winter in sheltered spots. Have a great week, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Our vinca doesn't start blooming again until end of winter. I'm enjoying all the new spring flowers! You too, Sarah!

      Delete
  7. You will love seeing the Central Texas wildflowers, Rachel. We've just returned from the Warrenton antiques fair; the flowers were magnificent. Hope you get a chance to visit the wonderful bookstore in Austin, Book People.

    One day I will go to Cancun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited about the flowers! I would love to go to that bookstore! I just need to wrangle my grandkids to go!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you had a good trip! That cave is so cool. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much travel! That's disruptive to the routine. I really enjoy the Kat Holloway books and I LOVE the Bruce Borgos ones I see you got the first two of those. So fun to see all the spring flowers, I love all the blooming and growth I'm seeing these days.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much travel, Anne! It is disruptive to my routine. Thankfully after this next trip I hope to be at home for at leas the next month and a half. I'm excited to read both series. Seeing Borgos on your blog is one of the reasons I grabbed it up!

      Delete
  10. A good load of books there. Your holiday pics look good - a cave restaurant!!

    Have a good week next week ☺️

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/03/24/sunday-post-119/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had a great time in Cancun. I would expect a cave to be much cooler than outside! That is strange. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you had fun in Cancun with the family. Neat experiences. Too bad the cave was so hot. Ahhh, love the kitty pics with puzzle and outside. I'm so glad you enjoyed the Jennifer Ashley novella. I love that series. Yay, I see you're going to read The Bitter Past, too.

    Have a good week, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. This is Sophia Rose

      Delete
    2. I just started the first Below the Stairs book. I"m already hooked. Thanks, Sophia! You too!

      Delete
  13. Traveling from Arkansas to L.A. across Texas around this time last year, I was constantly exclaiming over all the swaths of bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush. I don't think my German friends were quite as excited over it as I was and they were probably over my backseat shrieking the first five or six times.

    So, if you shriek over them, know that I am right there shrieking with you!!!!! I'll never get over seeing them in person. The blue bonnets I mean. We have the Indian Paintbrush here, so although I love it, I don't shriek over it like I do the blue bonnets.

    I want to go on the water ride with the sheer drop off!

    What a lovely yard Peanut has to adventure around in!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would've been shrieking in the back seat with you, Jinger! I get very excited over flowers! It was a fun ride! And, yes, Peanut has a nice playground! My adventure kitty!

      Delete
  14. The Cave restaurant is so cool! Sounds like you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how fun! That cave restaurant looks wild! I could use some Cancun right about now lol as we got sNOW- and a lot of it- the other night! Thankfully it melted the next day.

    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow! At least it melted the soon the next day. Thank you! I am! :)

      Delete
  16. Your holiday sounds amazing and that cave restaurant looks really interesting. Hope you feel better soon. And have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had a good time but it's good to be home! You have a great week, too!

      Delete
  17. My family went to Cancun once over Christmas and we totally loved the beach and all the cool ruins there. That cave restaurant looks very fun. Glad you had a good time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. That cave restaurant looks so cool! I went to Mexico with a sister who didn't want to do anything but relax the whole time, so the only scenery etc. that I got to see was we did go to the Tulum ruins. Glad you had a nice time, but it sucks to come home and be sick. I hope you get better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry to hear about your cold, Rachel!
    Aw I love to see your puzzle helper!
    Take care and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete