Monday, October 15, 2012

Review: Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James

Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James
Published October 7th 2008 by Berkley Sensation
Purchase: Amazon

About the book
No woman could resist him—except the one he wanted most...

Cool, Calm, Collected...

Nothing fazes Taylor Donovan. In the courtroom she never lets the opposition see her sweat. In her personal life, she never lets any man rattle her—not even her cheating ex-fiancĂ©. So when she's assigned to coach People's "Sexiest Man Alive" for his role in his next big legal thriller, she refuses to fall for the Hollywood heartthrob's charms. Even if he is the Jason Andrews.

Confident, Famous, Irresistible...

Jason Andrews is used to having women fall at his feet. When Taylor Donovan gives him the cold shoulder, he's thrown for a loop. She's unlike any other woman he's ever met: uninterested in the limelight, seemingly immune to his advances, and shockingly capable of saying no to him. She's the perfect challenge. And the more she rejects him, the more he begins to realize she may just be his perfect match.

My Thoughts
...I’ve realized that the one person who could break my heart is the only one who should have it...

Just the Sexiest Man Alive made me an instant fan of Julie James, and I definitely continued to explore other books by this author. Despite the fact that I had to put aside the predictable plot and twists, as well as convenient courtroom drama, I found myself giving the storyline the flexibility it needed to deliver this highly entertaining romantic comedy.

Jason Andrews and Taylor Donovan make a great pair of main characters. I enjoyed their snarky dialog and together they were both witty and charming enough to have me laughing out loud at their antics and conversations. I really liked Taylors’s ruthless nature and Jason’s melodramatic movie star tantrums where slightly charming...don’t ask...it just worked for me.^^

In this story, Taylor Donovan is temporarily relocated from Chicago to Los Angeles to work on a high profile court case for her law firm. She’s ruthless and ambitious, as well as a promising contender for a partnership in her firm. But, her goals and career trajectory take a sudden halt when her leading attorney places her on the Andrew’s Project, which involves coaching an A-list movie star Jason to help him prepare for an upcoming court based movie. The office staff is star-struck by this recently voted Sexiest Man Alive star, but Taylor sees past his invincible layers to find someone she can't help but fall in love with. Awww...  :P

I can see how some fans of James were a bit disappointed in the conclusion of this story, seeing as Taylor’s final decision seemed a bit out of character (view spoiler)[ where she quit her job and chose to forego a partnership with her law firm to remain in Los Angeles with Jason (hide spoiler)], but I can’t say that I didn’t see that coming and again I found myself giving this book the leeway it needed to move the romance along. So I was okay with her final decision. I think I was in the mood for something light and fun, so that can account for my willingness to accept the flow of the storyline. So, overall I really enjoyed this romcom and I will definitely try other books by this author. Fun read that was perfect timing for my book mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment