Monday, January 12, 2015

Review: Pieces of You by Ella Harper

Pieces of You by Ella Harper
Published August 14th 2014 by Avon
Lucy. I don’t even know how to start this letter.
Something happened. Something terrible . . .

Lucy was always sure of one thing – her future with husband and soulmate Luke. But after eight long, heartbreaking years trying to have a baby, that future is crumbling before her eyes.
When a terrible accident puts Luke into a coma, Lucy is forced to reassess everything she thought she wanted.


Then a woman arrives with a shocking secret that will force Lucy to make the hardest decision of her life.


As compelling and powerful as Jojo Moyes and Liane Moriarty, PIECES OF YOU is a heart-rending, haunting and ultimately life-affirming novel about a love tested to its limits.
My Thoughts
"It’s amazing how someone can break your heart, but you still love them with all the little pieces."
Wow! Incredibly devastating. Not sure if I'll recover from that anytime soon.

It’s been almost two weeks since I’ve read this book and I’m still thinking about it, so I guess it’s time I write a review in the hopes that I can finally move on to another book. I don’t think my heart has felt this spent and dismantled since Me Before You.

Every now and I again, I look for something emotional... something I know will remind me other people have it worse, but there’s always hope. So, when I stumble upon little gems such as Pieces of You by Ella Harper, I think to myself… Oh my! What Lucy went through... I don't even know...

This book was amazing in small little ways that eventually felt magnanimous. There was nothing extraordinary about it, except for the fact that it felt so real and so non-fictional. I absolutely loved Lucy. She was a protagonist worthy of my emotion and contemplation. To get to know her as she fell in love with Luke and they built a wonderful life together, was a story I wanted a front row ticket to. However, as many love stories prove to be… there is often heartbreak, and theirs came in the form of over eight miscarriages that left them broken but still hopeful for a family.

I don’t want to share all of the details, because to experience this story first hand is a privilege, so let me just tell you… there’s Luke’s family, a great set of friends, a tragic accident, an unexpected pregnancy and an unforgiveable event that just had my heart and emotions all over the place.

Having this story unfold through various perspectives was brilliant, but it also taught me patience. As much as I just wanted to concentrate on Lucy’s story, it forced me to consider parallel events that brought on a whole new set of considerations to contemplate.

Pieces of You is beautifully written, bold and emotional… Exactly what I was looking for. Loved it!
4 Suns

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting not my usual read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this book until I read your review, Arlene! This books sounds like something I would enjoy! I am obsessed with emotionally charged books! Thank you for making me aware and great review!!

    ReplyDelete