Friday, April 1, 2016

Review: Cuff Me by Lauren Layne


Publication Date: March 29th 2016 by Forever
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

About the book:

Meet New York's Finest-three hot brothers sworn to protect and serve the city they love . . . and the women who've stolen their hearts.

ARRESTED BY LOVE

Vincent Moretti is one of the NYPD's top homicide detectives-and one of the most eligible bachelors in town. His family, however, thinks he should date his longtime partner, Jill-a sassy, sexy, smart-mouthed blonde who drives him absolutely crazy.

Behind the quiet authority, tough-guy demeanor, and dark aviator glasses lies a man with a big soul-and a hard body that can soften any girl's heart. After years as his coworker, Jill Henley has given up hope that anything could happen between her and Vin. Besides, loving him would break all the rules. But seeing Jill with someone else triggers feelings in Vincent he never knew he had. Now he'll have to stop playing good cop/bad cop-and find a way to convince her to be his partner for life. . .

My Thoughts:
I’ve been looking forward to Vincent and Jill’s romance in Cuff Me, and it was shaping up to be my favorite of the three books so far.  I did love the relationship between them.  The bittersweet longing was palpable!  Being partners for the NYPD in the homicide division for the last six years made it so they knew each other like a seasoned married couple, and I love that history.  Jill wanted more, but never voiced her attraction to Vin, and while everyone could see that there was something more on Vin’s side, he never acknowledged the attraction.  As our story opens Jill is just about to come back from a three month leave of absence spent caring for her mother in Florida. After three months apart Vin is excited and anxious to have her back, only he gets the shock of his life when he finds out that Jill is engaged to another man.

I thought this served Vin right, because he had all this time with Jill before and never made a move. To me it was never a matter of Jill figuring out her feelings, she just never thought Vin would ever come around.  Jill wanted love, marriage and a family, and Tom seemed like her perfect match. Well, mostly.  When she gets back to New York and sees the Moretti’s doubts start creeping in.  Vin acts like a broody jerk, over her engagement, but still makes no declarations.

I’m a sucker for unrequited love, I’m always hoping that the couple opens their eyes and notice what’s been under their noses for so long.  So yeah, there was real potential for me to love Vin and Jill’s romance.  While I knew that eventually these two would come together (this is their romance, so no spoilers there) I was completely disappointed that it took sooooooo long!  The level of frustration I experienced at one point made me want to scream! I wanted to slap Vin upside the head!!  When I started Cuff Me I thought for sure this was going to be a 5 star rating for me, and I really did enjoy the slow burn and the ache of want, that was done really well, but the frustration level from the denials made it impossible for me to give it more than 3 stars.

3 Suns





4 comments:

  1. Such a bummer, I'm sorry you were disappointed on this one, Rachel. I have seen so many mixed reviews on this whole series that I've put off trying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had mixed feelings about the first in the series, but the 2nd was good for me. I have mixed feelings about this one, too, because a part of me did like a good portion. But there was just too much frustration. :/

      Delete
  2. I totally feel you on the palpable frustration! I also like unrequited love but not if it takes forever and is one misunderstanding after another! Great review Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eva. I have such mixed feelings about this story, and it wasn't really miscommunication as much as holding back, and then lying about true feelings.

      Delete