Friday, November 30, 2018

Review: Chasing Shadows by Catherine Bybee


Publication Date: November 13th 2018 by Montlake
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble 

About the book:

Avery Grant doesn’t date. Her first marriage was a mutually beneficial contract that gave her the financial freedom she needed to step away from her controlling parents. Wealthy and single, the last thing she’s looking for is love sneaking in to mess up her life plans. And after a brutal attack, she’s determined to never be vulnerable again, even if the new man in her life helps her feel safe.
Mesmerized from the moment he sets his eyes on Avery, Liam is driven to learn everything about this tough, sexy, challenging woman. Breaking down her defenses won’t be easy, but Liam refuses to be pushed away. All he needs is a tiny crack in Avery’s armor to wiggle his way into her heart.
But when a terrifying lie about her attacker’s fate comes to light, Avery’s past returns to haunt her. Now she’s willing to put herself in danger to get the answers she needs. That means jeopardizing the best thing that’s ever happened to her: Liam.

My Thoughts:
Last year Avery barely survived a brutal attack and remembers next to nothing about it.  Previously, Avery’s been outspoken and up for a good time, but the attack has changed her.  Not that she’s now a shrinking violet, but she’s more thoughtful and serious.  Also, she’s taken up krav maga determined to be able to defend herself should she ever be in a vulnerable situation again.

While defending herself from a handsy barfly, Avery captures the attention of Liam, a nice, normal building contractor, who soon starts taking krav maga to get close, and the sparks fly between them! Liam isn’t like the men Avery usually tangles with, satisfied with having a brief physical affair, and then moving on quickly.  Liam wants more than a casual hookup, unnerving her, but he’s exactly what Avery didn’t realize she needed.

While Avery refuses to be treated or seen as a victim, the attack did leave a mark and its effects are coming to a head the closer she approaches the one-year anniversary.  Details of the attack are coming to light as Avery starts regaining bits of her memory, shaking her up as she realizes things may not have been as the police originally thought.

When I was first introduced to Avery in the last book, I have to say she annoyed me quite a bit.  She was very abrasive to Wade and Trina as they were starting their relationship and I felt like she was overbearing and intrusive.  By the end though I realized that she was only trying to protect her friend from harm even if it was over the top.  I felt awful for her when she got attacked! 

When we first meet up with Avery here, it’s apparent that even though she hasn’t lost her fighting spirit, she’s struggling with feelings of anger, helplessness, and vulnerability. Normal feelings, I’d say considering what happened.  I love that Liam was patient and kind even when he was in the dark about her situation, he could sense she needed understanding.  I love how things wrapped up here, and how Avery was able to find peace and closure with a surprising turn of events.


4 Suns



11 comments:

  1. This sounds like a solid entry into an already enjoyable series. I’m guessing it’s probably best (if not necessary?) to read the two previous books first. Liam sounds like a sweetheart. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with the last book, which is book 2, but I don't think you'd even need to read that to enjoy this one. It's pretty good just on its own, and yes, Liam is a sweetheart! :)

      Delete
  2. Catherine really is a great author. All her stories are so heartfelt. So glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're a fan! This is my second read from her and I'm liking her work. :)

      Delete
  3. Poor woman! But at least they will live happily ever after

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this was such an important step for Avery. She needed that closure after the attack, and I liked that Bybee empowered her the way she did. I loved Liam, and my only complaint with this book, was that I wanted to see them together on page more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad she got so bad-ass! I'd love to take krav maga classes or be a black belt! Yes, it would've been nice to see them together more.

      Delete
  5. Neat how you were able to see a different side of her and admire her after she rubbed you wrong. Fun when that happens. Liam sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Avery ended up being my favorite heroine of this series so far.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read this author yet. I like that you were able to appreciate Avery in this book despite not liking her character in the previous installment.

    ReplyDelete