Monday, November 26, 2018

Review: Someone to Trust by Mary Balogh


Publication Date: November 27th 2018 by Berkley
Pages: 400
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo

About the book:

During a rare white Christmas at Brambledean Court, the widow Elizabeth, Lady Overfield, defies convention by falling in love with a younger man in the latest novel in the Westcott series.

After her husband's passing, Elizabeth Overfield decides that she must enter into another suitable marriage. That, however, is the last thing on her mind when she meets Colin Handrich, Lord Hodges, at the Westcott Christmas house party. She simply enjoys his company as they listen to carolers on Christmas Eve, walk home from church together on Christmas morning, and engage in a spirited snowball fight in the afternoon. Both are surprised when their sled topples them into a snowbank and they end up sharing an unexpected kiss. They know there is no question of any relationship between them, for she is nine years older than he.

They return to London the following Season, both committed to finding other, more suitable matches. Still they agree to share one waltz at each ball they attend. This innocuous agreement proves to be one that will topple their worlds, as each dance steadily ensnares them in a romance that forces the two to question what they are willing to sacrifice for love. . . .

My Thoughts:
It’s not often that I read a historical romance where the woman is older than the man, I guess I don’t read that many in contemporary romances either.  That’s telling, right? I think there’s still a bit of a stigma with that combination even in the present, and I have to say I’m guilty of being just a little hesitant to pick up a book when I know the man is younger than the woman.  However, whenever Elizabeth and Colin were together on the page, I forgot their ages and just longed for them to find a way to be together.

Elizabeth, a thirty-five-year-old widow, feels blessed in her life with a large and loving family, but lately, she’s lonely and longs for the love and companionship a husband would offer. While the offer she receives doesn’t make her heart race like Colin does, it’s one that society wouldn’t look down on.

Colin, Lord Hodges, is twenty-six and feels the need to settle down and provide an heir pressing on him even though none of the female prospects stir anything in him like Elizabeth does.  He’s drawn to her inner and outer beauty, and the delight she seems to always find in life.

Someone to Trust is part of a series, but it can be read as a standalone.  Previous characters show up, but this story is all Elizabeth and Colin. I will say that the Westcott brood is growing with every book, and that I loved the unconditional love and support they provide to each other. Here they all rally around Elizabeth when she needs them most.

I’ve been enjoying Mary Balogh’s Westcott series! No matter that these characters live in a different time period, that’s all forgotten when I start reading and these characters come to life; their doubts and fears, their joy and yearning, and the absolute contentment and happiness they feel when all finally works out!

4 Suns




8 comments:

  1. Whaaat!? 35 and with a younger man. OMGH I am SHOCKED! I love it. Nope, I have not read one like this before. I can only imagine how shocked they are in the book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a few older women-younger man stories and it wasn't an issue for me so much as whether I liked the story.
    I adored this story and this pair. The series is a favorite of mine. Enjoyed your thoughts, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can handle it..lol Although not my thing. I do enjoy historical romances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s been a long time since I’ve read a historical romance - and I don’t think I’ve ever read one where the female MC was older than the male. Nice twist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of an older heroine, younger hero in an historical romance. Love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when books in a series can be read on their own! I don't mind books in a series, but hate it when one book is completely dependent on another. I also like that she's 35, because you don't often see main characters at that age! Thanks for sharing this one!

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do want to read Mary Balogh and have several of her books on my tbr list but have yet to actually pick one up. This sounds great. I love the fact that the heroine is older. I can't think of another book that I have read where that is the case.

    ReplyDelete