Thursday, April 30, 2020

Books From the Backlog #1


Books From the Backlog is hosted by Carole's Random Life in Books and it's a way to feature our neglected books on our bookshelf.  

This is my first time participating! Here's my choice:


Publication Date: February 1st 2013 by Hardie Grant Egdmont
Pages: 316
Source: Publisher
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble 

About the book:

Sam is a geek movie-buff with a ragtag group of loser friends who have been taking abuse from the popular kids for years. But when the super-cool Camilla moves to town, she surprises everyone by choosing to spend time with Sam's group. Suddenly they go from geek to chic, and find that not everything boils down to us and them. With their social lives in flux, Sam and Camilla spend more and more time together. They become the best of friends, and Sam finds that he's happier and more comfortable in his own skin than ever before. But eventually Sam must admit to himself that he's fallen in love. If he confesses his true feelings to Camilla, will everything change again?
I got a copy of this back when I still read a lot of YA, because it sounded cute, and because Melissa Keil is an Aussie writer. I don't know about you, but I've had great success with Aussie writers, like Melina Marchetta, Cath Crowly and Ellie Marney. There seems to be something extra special about their writing!  Well, this still languishes on my Netgalley account, giving me the stink eye every time I open up my shelf! 

What about you? Have you read this? If so, what did you think?



19 comments:

  1. I have only had success with all he Aussie authors I have read, and this sounds like it holds the promise of something adorable. I am always up for an underdog sort of story

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is new to me but I like the sound of it. I am glad that I am not the only one with books from 2013 hanging out in my NetGalley account :) Thanks for joining in this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this one, but it looks cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not, but I hope it's a good one! I'm really trying to read more backlist books this year.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam sounds like such an endearing character!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay glad for your first Books From the Backlog post. I just posted the big 1-0-0 post for it. And, the good news is that it really does help you motivate to read some of these languishing ones. I can't say that I've heard of this one, but I love Cath Crowley books so I know what you mean about Aussie writing power. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen this one before but it sounds really cute! I can definitely see why you picked it up and hopefully you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know this one but I generally steer away from YA. Mostly. I hope you enjoy it if you get reading it.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy YA and this sounds like fun. Great title too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a great one if you enjoy reading YA. I agree that there is something unique about Aussie writers for sure

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Y.A. and this sounds like a super cute read! I hope you enjoy it, when you get around to reading it :)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this one a few years back, I remember reading it when I was obsessed with Aussie YA at the time. I think it was a cute read, although I don't remember a lot about it now! Hope you enjoy it once you get around to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This does sound really cute. I don't read a lot of contemporary YA (I tend to be more drawn to YA fantasy), but sometimes something catches my fancy! I hope you enjoy this when you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the sound of this! The cover is so pretty too!
    I'm curious as to what you'll think of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't read much YA, but I always enjoy discovering something tempting like this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete