Thursday, July 1, 2021

Review: The Road Trip by Beth O'Leary

 


The Road Trip by Beth O'Leary
Publication Date: June 1st 2021 by Berkley Books
Pages: 400
Source: Publisher and Purchased Audio Book
Rating: ½
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Goodreads | Audible

My Thoughts:
Addie and Dylan fell madly in love over a Summer in France, but things fell apart spectacularly. Neither has really moved on, and right from the beginning I could tell these two had that special romance that only comes along once in a lifetime.

Now, almost two years since the breakup they’re both on the way to a mutual friend’s wedding when trouble strikes, and they up stuck together in a cramped car ride to Scotland. Addie and Dylan must confront mistakes from the past while on the inside they still long for each other.

The story alternates between Addie and Dylan in the present and then in the past. How they fell in love and what led to the breakup is slowly revealed. I wondered what went horribly wrong and my heart hurt for these two to find a way back to each other.

Certainly, Dylan’s best friend Marcus, a total asshole in the past, was a huge part of their breakup. I couldn’t stand the guy, and I suspected early on one of the reasons he was such a colossal jackass! Did Marcus improve in the present? Well, you’d have to read to find out. More important though was Dylan and Addie’s handling of the situation.

The Road Trip was a bit angsty and really pulled at my heart strings, but it was also pretty laugh-out-loud funny in parts! I alternately read and listened to the audio version, and I couldn’t stop reading once I picked up the story! I had to know what happened to break these two up when they were so in love in the past and obviously still in love in the present.

The audio version was fantastic with Josh Dylan and Eleanor Tomlinson performing Dylan and Addie’s POVs. Loved their English accents!

4.5 Stars


Book Description:
What if the end of the road is just the beginning?

Four years ago, Dylan and Addie fell in love under the Provence sun. Wealthy Oxford student Dylan was staying at his friend Cherry's enormous French villa; wild child Addie was spending her summer as the on-site caretaker. Two years ago, their relationship officially ended. They haven't spoken since.

Today, Dylan's and Addie's lives collide again. It's the day before Cherry's wedding, and Addie and Dylan crash cars at the start of the journey there. The car Dylan was driving is wrecked, and the wedding is in rural Scotland--he'll never get there on time by public transport.

So, along with Dylan's best friend, Addie's sister, and a random guy on Facebook who needed a ride, they squeeze into a space-challenged Mini and set off across Britain. Cramped into the same space, Dylan and Addie are forced to confront the choices they made that tore them apart--and ask themselves whether that final decision was the right one after all.


15 comments:

  1. I love when a second chance romance gives us the full look at the past. I was really excited to see your high rating. I am looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it too, Sam! I want to read some of her backlist.

      Delete
  2. I might really like the funny and not sure about the angsty parts. I do want to read this one. Fantastic review!

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm usually not a fan of angsty stuff either, but this wasn't bad and it felt appropriate for the story. Hope you enjoy it, Anne.

      Delete
  3. I have this one as ebook but I listened to the audiobook of The Switch and it brought the story to life in a way that made it extra special so I'm tempted to listen to the audio of The Road Trip instead of reading the ebook, lol.

    I'm glad that it was a hit! O'Leary has a gift for making characters feel real and sucking you into their lives... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go with the audio, but I usually have an e-copy to read if I want to switch back and forth. I definitely want to read some of her back list. :)

      Delete
  4. I haven't read a good road trip story in a while, and this one seems interesting. I'm curious to find out why Marcus is such a jerk... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like being locked together in a car to hash out the differences. :) Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Forced proximity lends something fun to a romance! :)

      Delete
  6. I've only read one book by her that made me an instant fan. I also like this trope, so definitely going to add this to my pile.

    Lovely review, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy! I hope you love the story as much as I did! I definitely want to check on her backlist.

      Delete
  7. Angsty, pulls at the heart, and laughs. Interesting :D

    ReplyDelete