Monday, May 1, 2023

Audiobook Review: I Have Some Questions for You by Rebecca Makkai

 

I Have Some Questions For You by Rebecca Makkai
Publication Date: February 21st 2023 by Penguin Audio
Pages: 438
Audio Book Length: 14hrs 3min
Narrator: Julia Whelan & JD Jackson
Source: Publisher via Libro.fm
Rating: ½
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Libro.fm | Audible | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
I Have Some Questions For You was an engrossing mystery!

The story centers on the murder of Thalia Keith back in 1995. She was a senior at Granby High, a boarding school in New Hampshire. Former student Bodie Kane, now a teacher and podcaster, is invited back to give a lecture, and in the meantime, someone sends her a video of Thalia that stirs up some memories for Bodie. Bodie was the roommate of Thalia and though they ran in different circles Bodie had some insights that didn’t register back when they caught the and prosecuted the killer. Now Bodie wonders if the police got it right and if the wrong man is in jail.

I truly didn’t want to stop listening! It was an interesting story besides trying to ferret out the murderer. Bodie’s past and present, how she ended up at Granby, the trials of being a high school student, and not part of the popular crowd. I think anyone who went to school can relate to the feelings and situations Bodie went through, women particularly.

As the story goes on the possible suspects are evaluated, chapters devoted to each one on motive and opportunity. I was surprised by the identity of the killer!

I was really impressed by I Have Some Questions For You! A fascinating mystery enhanced by the excellent narration of Julia Whelan. I listened at my usual 1.5x normal speed. Definite recommend!

4.5 Stars


Book Description:

A successful film professor and podcaster, Bodie Kane is content to forget her past—the family tragedy that marred her adolescence, her four largely miserable years at a New Hampshire boarding school, and the murder of her former roommate, Thalia Keith, in the spring of their senior year. Though the circumstances surrounding Thalia's death and the conviction of the school's athletic trainer, Omar Evans, are hotly debated online, Bodie prefers—needs—to let sleeping dogs lie.

But when the Granby School invites her back to teach a course, Bodie is inexorably drawn to the case and its increasingly apparent flaws. In their rush to convict Omar, did the school and the police overlook other suspects? Is the real killer still out there? As she falls down the very rabbit hole she was so determined to avoid, Bodie begins to wonder if she wasn't as much of an outsider at Granby as she'd thought—if, perhaps, back in 1995, she knew something that might have held the key to solving the case.



14 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the premise of this one. I'll have to listen to the audiobook now that I know it's narrated by Julia Whelan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cover and this sounds like one I would enjoy too.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I hadn't heard of this and it sounds great. Awesome narrators too. Excellent review Rachel!

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got this one on my TBR list...and am happy to hear that you liked it so much. It's one I'm excited to read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like a murder mystery at times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love engrossing mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off.JULIA WHELAN, so you just know its amazing haha This one sounds like such a thrilling novel to listen to. And the best audiobooks are the one's you don't want to put down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this one sounds interesting. I like how it was one chapter per suspect. Interesting well to let the story unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for a good surprise and an engrossing mystery! I'll have to add this one to the reading list.

    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn Rachel I am adding that one to my list too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to have to add this to my reading list. This sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A neat mystery. The set up sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Murder in a boarding school. I like that. Glad this one kept your attention

    ReplyDelete
  14. This wasn't even on my radar....but wow, I want to listen.

    ReplyDelete