Sunday, January 21, 2024

Audiobook Review: My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland

 
My Life as a White Trash Zombie

My Life as a White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie #1) by Diana Rowland
Publication Date: July 3rd 2012 by Brilliance Audio
Pages: 320
Audio Book Length: 9hrs 5min
Narrator: Allison McLemore
Source: Purchased
Rating: ½
Links: Amazon Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Audible | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
My Life as a White Trash Zombie was unexpectedly good! I was a little hesitant that I’d like Angel being that she’s a self-described loser and drug addict. However, not only was this a zombie story, but it was also a story of positive personal growth, and a mystery. Angel is a smart cookie who had a rough start in life. I’m eager to see her take charge of her life and happiness and excel!

Angel wakes up in the ER told that she was saved from an overdose, but the flashes of memory she has doesn’t match up with the account she’s been given. Also, when Angel leaves the ER she’s given a note and instructions to show up and start work at the coroner’s office or be reported to her parole officer which would likely result in her going back to jail. A threat that motivates her to comply.

Angel’s job sounds like a nightmare for someone with a notoriously weak stomach, but there are some surprising revelations as she settles in. Also, there’s a string of murders where the corpse has been left decapitated.

My Life as a White Trash Zombie was a “page-turner”! A story I didn’t want to stop listening to! I listened to the story straight through and was tempted to continue with the next story, but it was getting too late! Allison McLemore’s performance was perfection! I loved her Southern accent, and her comedic timing was excellent! There wasn’t as much laugh-out-loud humor as I thought there’d be, more ironic, dry humor that worked well with this story.

I listened to the story for the read along I’m participating in hosted by Anne @Books of My Heart and we had a fun online chat about the book today (Sunday)! I’m not sure I’ll be able to hold off until next month to read the next one!

4.5 Stars


Book Description:

Angel Crawford is a loser.

Living with her alcoholic deadbeat dad in the swamps of southern Louisiana, she's a high school dropout with a pill habit and a criminal record who's been fired from more crap jobs than she can count. Now on probation for a felony, it seems that Angel will never pull herself out of the downward spiral her life has taken.

That is, until the day she wakes up in the ER after overdosing on painkillers. Angel remembers being in a horrible car crash, but she doesn't have a mark on her. To add to the weirdness, she receives an anonymous letter telling her there's a job waiting for her at the parish morgue—and that it's an offer she doesn't dare refuse.

Before she knows it she's dealing with a huge crush on a certain hunky deputy and a brand new addiction: an overpowering craving for brains. Plus, her morgue is filling up with the victims of a serial killer who decapitates his prey—just when she's hungriest!

Angel's going to have to grow up fast if she wants to keep this job and stay in one piece. Because if she doesn't, she's dead meat.

Literally.




22 comments:

  1. I've read several positive reviews about this one, and it's been awhile since I've read a fun zombie book. This one is definitely going on my list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It was great to have you join the chat too. It is the next month so you can start reading book 2. I tend to wait until closer to the chat just so I remember stuff but you can read anytime during the month, now until Feb 16. I'm so happy people are liking the books. Thank you for sharing your review!

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I wasn't sure and I really wanted to! I'll start it as soon as I clear out a few audios. My pleasure! Thanks for hosting, Anne! :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good story, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wary going into this one, too, but was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed cheering on Angel and got absorbed in her story.

    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Same here! I'm totally rooting for Angel! She got such a rough start in life!

      Delete
  5. I remember that book cover well from the early years of blog hopping. I never got around to reading it though. Sounds like a fun read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun read, and holds up well even being 12 years old. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. This was my second time reading this book and I am glad to see everyone enjoying it. It really is a great story and the narrator does such a good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I loved it and the narrator is wonderful! Glad to hear you enjoyed it the second time around, Carole!

      Delete
  7. I have an e-copy of this and really need to read it. Glad you liked it so much.

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun title & cover. She seems rad. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lol! Rad! This is the same artist that does the Mercy Thompson books. :)

      Delete