Saturday, January 27, 2024

Audiobook Review: No One Can Know by Kate Alice Marshall

 


What Lies in the Woods by Kate Alice Marshall
Publication Date: January 23th 2024 by Macmillan Audio
Pages: 336
Audio Book Length: 10hrs 15 mins
Narrators: Karissa Vacker
Source: Publisher 
Rating: 
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Libro.fm | Audible | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
Emma’s parents were murdered when she was sixteen, her two sisters and she came under suspicion, but the police couldn’t pin anything solid on them. Fast forward fourteen years later, Emma’s married, pregnant and in a financial pinch when her husband, Nathan, loses his job and their rental is kicking them out.  They decide to move back to Emma’s family home. She hasn’t seen her two sisters in years, but they end up reuniting when Emma moves back. Living in the same small town stirs up the past and Emma wonders what really happened that night.

The story is told from the three POVs of Emma, Daphne, and Juliette, from the past and now. Emma didn’t fight the suspicion heaped on her since they couldn’t prove anything, but it’s been a dark shadow cast and she’s ready to be free of it, so she starts questioning the players from the past. New revelations make her question what she thought she knew. Emma’s poking around isn’t the safest course of action when others would like the past to stay buried.
 
No One Can Know was a page-turner! I rooted for Emma and her sisters after having such an awful childhood. Their parents wouldn’t win any parenting awards, so I wasn’t really sorry over their murder, just hopeful none of the past would drag them down again. I wanted to know the truth of what happened! I was happy to see a reconciliation between the sisters, and there was also second chance romance I was on board for. Another exciting mystery/thriller from Marshall! I really enjoyed it!

Karissa Vacker is one of my favorite narrators. She has a smooth, sultry voice, and does well with both male and female characters. I listened at my usual 1.5x normal speed.


Book Description:

The author of What Lies in the Woods returns with a novel about three sisters, two murders, and too many secrets to count.

Emma hasn't told her husband much about her past. He knows her parents are dead and she hasn't spoken to her sisters in years. Then they lose their apartment, her husband gets laid off, and Emma discovers she's pregnant―right as the bank account slips into the red.

That's when Emma confesses that she has one more asset: her parents' house, which she owns jointly with her estranged sisters. They can't sell it, but they can live in it. But returning home means that Emma is forced to reveal her secrets to her husband: that the house is not a run-down farmhouse but a stately mansion, and that her parents died there.

Were murdered.

And that some people say Emma did it.

Emma and her sisters have never spoken about what really happened that night. Now, her return to the house may lure her sisters back, but it will also crack open family and small-town secrets lots of people don’t want revealed. As Emma struggles to reconnect with her old family and hold together her new one, she begins to realize that the things they have left unspoken all these years have put them in danger again.



11 comments:

  1. This does sound like a really good one! It would be so hard to return to the house where your parents were murdered. Especially if your husband didn't know anything about it. Can't wait to read this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be hard, but maybe harder if your parents weren't awful like these ones were. Hope you like it too, Lark! I look forward to your thoughts!

      Delete
  2. A page turner plus a second chance romance <-- that's a great bonus, if you ask me. The parents must have been quite terrible for you to not be sad about their murder. EEK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love mystery/thrillers, but even more when there's a bit of a romance in there, too. Yes, they were not good parents!

      Delete
  3. I want to try this author. I think it was this one.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh a page turner, I do like that

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this one sounds fantastic! I will have to see if I can get my hands on the audio. I do love Karissa Vacker's narration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While this isn't my type of read, I can see my mom and aunts would love it! I'll have to share it with them for sure. Great review!

    ReplyDelete