Monday, October 21, 2024

Audiobook Review: The Night We Lost Him by Laura Dave

 
The Night We Lost Him by Laura Dave


The Night We Lost Him by Julia Whelan
Publication Date: September 17th 2024 by Simon & Schuster Audio
Pages: 298
Audio Book Length: 7hrs 48min
Narrator: Julia Whelan
Source: Publisher
Rating: 
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo Libro.fm |  Audible | Goodreads

My Thoughts:

The Night We Lost Him was more fiction with a bit of mystery, but engrossing even so.
 
I don’t get why Liam and Corey just didn’t get together years earlier. What was stopping them? Not anything that was explained properly, in my opinion. The chapters set in the past were my least favorite part of the story. I was more invested in Nora and her brother Sam’s present-day mission to discover what actually happened to their father the night of his death. Both are at a crossroads personally and I enjoyed them connecting over their shared grief and sorting out their futures together.
 
There is one twist that caught me off guard, and I had to re-listen to the spot just to make sure I was hearing right before it all came together.
 
I did enjoy the sound of all the places, décor and aesthetics mentioned. From Santa Ynez/Central Coast California to the neighborhoods in New York. What Sam’s girlfriend wanted to do to that gorgeous Brownstone was a crime!
 
Julia Whelan’s excellent audio performance enhanced my enjoyment for sure!  

4 Stars


Book Description:

Estranged siblings discover their father has been keeping a secret for over fifty years, one that may have been fatal...

Liam Noone was many things to many people. To the public, he was an exacting, self-
made hotel magnate fleeing his past. To his three ex-wives, he was a loving albeit distant family man who kept his finances flush and his families carefully separated. To Nora, he was a father who often loved her from afar – notably a cliffside cottage perched on the California coast from which he fell to his death.   

The authorities rule the death accidental, but Nora and her estranged brother Sam have other ideas. As Nora and Sam form an uneasy alliance to unravel the mystery, they start putting together the pieces of their father’s past—and uncover a family secret that changes everything.

With Laura Dave’s trademark combination of soulful suspense and evocative family drama, The Night We Lost Him is a riveting page-turner with a heartbreaking final twist you’ll never see coming.


5 comments:

  1. This one is new to me but I love Julia Whelan. Is it a mystery / thriller?

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha she must have ruined that brownstone! I listened to Laura Dave's last one ... so I'll probably go for Whelan again (though I just heard her narrate The Women). Got to go if there's a Calif cliffside cottage. thx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes books that takes place in two different time settings are tricky. They need to be equally good

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like people's choices to make sense to me, too. Glad the present day investigation really caught on with you.

    ReplyDelete