Thursday, March 28, 2013

Review: Sins and Needles by Karina Halle

Sins & Needles (The Artists Trilogy, #1)
Sins & Needles by Karina Halle
Published on January 25, 2013 by Metal Blonde Books
Purchase: Amazon
About the book
Ellie Watt is used to starting over. The daughter of a grifting team, Ellie spent her childhood being used as a pawn in her parents' latest scam. Now she’s much older, wiser and ready to give her con artist life a rest. But returning to the dry desert town of Palm Valley, California means one more temptation than she bargained for – Camden McQueen. Once known as the high school weirdo, Camden is bigger and badder than the boy he used to be and a talented tattoo artist with his own thriving business. Ellie’s counting on Camden still being in love with her but what she’s not counting on is how easily unrequited love can turn into obsession over time. When Camden discovers Ellie’s plan to con him, he makes her a deal she doesn’t dare refuse, but her freedom comes with a price and it’s one that takes both Ellie and Camden down a dangerous road.
My thoughts:
I have seen some pretty stellar reviews of this book so the whole time I was reading I kept checking the cover because there is no way that I just read the same book.  I am completely disappointed and I feel like the kid who is left out from playing with the cool kids.  I am going to apologize in advance for my review.  I have a bit to vent about but I am going to try and stick to what didn't work for me so hopefully if there is anybody out there in the world that feels the dame they will know they aren't alone.

First thing I didn't like Ellie AT.ALL.  Her voice even from the beginning was bothersome to me.  I don't mind strong female characters and I love a girl who can kickass, but Ellie just came off as bitchy.  The more that I saw if her the more I despised her.  I hated feeling this way but well there it is.  I came to find out throughout the story that she is a dog with no bite.  I expected to see some pretty messed up scams since she is a con artist but I got was a few strange email scams and a lover scorned fit.  I was so disappointed when I learned her biggest scam ever!  It was so lame what actually happened.  I had hope that when her storyline was revealed it would make everything better but it only made it worse.  She didn't scam anybody she took off!  I have never been more disappointed with a character in my life.

The romance if you can call it that was way off.  After seeing everything that Ellie put Camden through I just can't imagine any guy going back for more.  Camden was a goth in high school and Ellie makes it very clear she has no romantic feelings for whatsoever, but when she sees him nine years later and he is hot she decided okay now that you aren't weird I think I want you.  Umm yeah that is not okay in my book.  I was so happy when Camden caught her and showed that he wasn't falling for her crap but then he turned soft and well that was that.  I liked him for about a page =(  Like I said their romance was just strange and when their pasts start coming clearer I have to say that I ended up hating Camden just as much as Ellie.

As for the story it was all a little blah to be honest.  I expected a lot more action and yes they are on the run and there are some baddies nothing really happens outside of a few phone calls and a car chase.  The story is mostly about Ellie coming to terms with her past and problems and owning up to the fact that if you screw someone over then they will come back and bite you in the ass.  Ellie has the oh poor pitiful me act down pat and I will give her a little bit of credit for finally acting like a grown up at the end but whether or not she stays this way I won't find out since I have no intention of reading the sequel.

I know I am in the minority with my feelings toward this book.  I really wish I could have liked it but I can't help the way I feel.  I really hope that if you decide to read this one that you like it.  Like I said I have seen so many awesome reviews for it so please don't just take my word for it.

 1 Sun





No comments:

Post a Comment