Saturday, August 24, 2013

Review: Burn by Maya Banks

Burn (Breathless, #3)
Burn (Breathless, #3) by Maya Banks
Published on August 6, 2013 by Berkley
Purchase Amazon
About the book 
Ash, Jace, and Gabe: three of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the country. They’re accustomed to getting anything they want. Anything at all. For Ash, it’s the woman who changes everything he’s ever known about dominance and desire...

When it comes to sex, Ash McIntyre has always explored his wilder side—extreme and uncompromising. He demands control. And he prefers women who want it like that. Even the women he’s shared with his best friend, Jace.

But Jace is involved with a woman he has no intention of sharing. And now even Gabe has settled into a relationship with a woman who gives him everything he needs, leaving Ash feeling restless and unfulfilled.

Then Ash meets Josie, who seems immune to his charms and his wealth. Intrigued, he begins a relentless pursuit, determined she won’t be the one who got away. He never imagined the one woman to tell him no would be the only woman who’d ever drive him to the edge of desire.
My Thoughts:
Okay this is the book I have been waiting for!  If you have read my previous reviews of the Breathless series then you know I have a love/hate relationship with it.  The first book left me so raw and angry that I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue on and honestly if it had been more of Gabe and Mia I probably wouldn't have, but it was Jace.  I really loved Jace in Rush so I couldn't wait to get my hands on his story, but it let me down.  There were parts I liked but for the most part I was upset and unhappy with the events that took place.  Now you may be thinking why in the world did I pick up Burn??  Well for one thing I really do enjoy Ms.Banks and her writing even if I want to strangle her characters and for another thing this was Ash's story.  How could I not read it??  Out of everybody Ash intrigued me the most and I have to say his book was definitely the best out of the three.

In Burn we get to see what makes Ash tick and why he is the way he is.  I knew he was dark for some reason even though it is never said in any of the other books.  He was the most easy going of the bunch in the previous books, but if you read them then you will probably agree with me that there was just something with him that made you want to take a closer look and knew that when you did you would probably find lots of darkness.  I won't lie I was terrified to pick this one up because I didn't want to be disappointed and I was scared to see what kind of woman he be paired up with.  I am happy to say that his story turned out much better than I could ever have anticipated and overall I am a happy camper.

The story is kind of the same as the previous books.  Main male character bumps into beautiful girl and decides he wants her and will not take no for an answer.  Ash comes in with guns blazing and sweeps Josie right off of her feet.  They move quick but again this is a trend with this series so I was okay with it. Would I have liked Josie to put up a little more fight..yes, but I can appreciate the overall fairy tale feel of the story.  I mean really what woman doesn't want a handsome sex god taking charge and cherishing her??  So yes I can understand the fantasy part of this book and overlook all the things that normal woman would scream about.

Josie was a good match for Ash.  She was an artist and really all she wanted was to be loved.  She lost her mother and grandmother so she had no family until Ash came along.  He gave her friends and a life she never knew she wanted.  I think my favorite part of the whole book was the girls.  Mia, Bethany, Brittany, and Josie were a hoot and I loved their scenes together. Girlfriends are the absolute best and this was a wonderful addition to the story.

The one big point that bothered me was the villain.  I was not prepared for it to be who it was and I am not sure if it worked for me.  We get to see a really dark side of Ash in this one and his connections which for a fan of the bad boy was great so I liked that there was something that stirred this part of Ash, but I wish the overall bad guy wasn't who it turned out to be.  It's really hard to talk about this part too much since I don't want to give anything away.  I will just say that I think a certain other person would have been a better villain and the person who it turned out to be shouldn't have been in this book in my opinion. 

I am so excited that I decided to read this book.  Ash was definitely worth the wait and this book has inspired me to read more from Ms.Banks!

3 stars



1 comment:

  1. This is waiting for me on my Kindle, I'm glad it was worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete