Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Review: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
Published on September 26, 2006 by Random House, Inc
WICKED above her hipbone, GIRL across her heart
Words are like a road map to reporter Camille Preaker’s troubled past. Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, Camille’s first assignment from the second-rate daily paper where she works brings her reluctantly back to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls.

NASTY on her kneecap, BABYDOLL on her leg
Since she left town eight years ago, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed again in her family’s Victorian mansion, Camille is haunted by the childhood tragedy she has spent her whole life trying to cut from her memory.

HARMFUL on her wrist, WHORE on her ankle
As Camille works to uncover the truth about these violent crimes, she finds herself identifying with the young victims—a bit too strongly. Clues keep leading to dead ends, forcing Camille to unravel the psychological puzzle of her own past to get at the story. Dogged by her own demons, Camille will have to confront what happened to her years before if she wants to survive this homecoming.

With its taut, crafted writing, Sharp Objects is addictive, haunting, and unforgettable
My thoughts:
I have chills and I have had chills ever since I put this book down almost an hour ago.  This is the second book I have read by Gillian Flynn and I am quickly discovering she has the rare ability to shock and scare the hell out of me.

Camille, a mediocre reporter, is being sent to her old hometown to report on the murders of two young girls.  Camille isn't happy about it and knows going back to the place that hurt her all those years ago will bring up old problems and old wounds.  She doesn't get a say so she goes and despite her mother not being happy about her return she stays at her parents house and starts digging for clues.  What she finds will shock and scare the daylights out of you.  If you thought Gone Girl was crazy you haven't seen anything yet.

This story was so messed up!  It is definitely not for the faint of heart and it deals with a lot of underage icky stuff.  I cringed quite a few times while reading, but I went with it because the story is that good.  I have to give the author major credit because I didn't see that ending coming at all.  I thought I knew the villain and I was right in a way, but holy moly!  Ms. Flynn is rather brilliant in my opinion.  When I read her stories I just get wrapped up in them so tightly that I can't breathe sometimes.  I felt this way with both stories and I have a feeling it will just be this way with every book. I will say her books are a bit long winded.  This can be a good thing and a bad thing. If I hadn't already read a book by her I would have thought a lot of this book was filler, but if you read into the story everything she writes is relevant to the story.  There are a lot of clues that you can pick up if you really read between her lines.

The only part that bugged me was the romance.  I know I have stated in the past that I am kinda passed the romance stage in my reading, but with this one I just wanted one person on Camille's side.  I felt let down by Richard and while I know what Camille did wasn't okay I just wish things had been different.  I almost wish Richard had stayed just a cop. That way I wouldn't have felt let down and the romance wouldn't have even been an issue.  I get that Camille needed to heal and really needed help so I can see where the author was going, but I wish the reason why Richard did what he did would have been different.

This is the type of story I have been craving!  It was dark, scary, shocking, and one that gave me chills. I haven't been shocked in a long time so I am loving this feeling!  Even now writing this review I am still excited and jumping at the chance to start Ms. Flynns next book.  

4 suns

 
- A book that takes place in a small town
 

No comments:

Post a Comment