Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Review: Images Eternal by Toni Decker

Images Eternal (The Shoalman Chronicles, Book 1)
Images Eternal by Toni Decker
Published on September 15th, 2014
About the book
~If Images are worth a thousand words, hers sing a thousand Eternal songs~

The blood of a Guardian, the heart of an artist, no one can hide the truth from Amanda Hayworth. Focusing her visions through her camera lens, she reveals secrets no one plans to expose, even her own. To protect herself, Mandy hides her ability in plain sight, photographing local bands and showcasing the dramatic images on her website. Most bands beg for a feature article. But the new lead singer of one particular up and coming band isn’t like anyone she’s ever met. Lucien entangles her with his mystery and makes Mandy want things she’s never wanted before—strings.

Lucien Solvak has to impress an influential music blogger whose promotion could skyrocket his new band to stardom or flush them straight into the gutters. But the moment Mandy aims her camera his direction, he fears the images will expose his ties to the immortal he’s sworn to protect and destroy his one chance to live out his musical dream. Hiding from her camera is tough enough. Denying his growing feelings becomes an impossible feat, forcing Lucien to choose between oaths as a Guardian, his rock-star dreams, and the girl he wants.

Secrets define them. Lucien’s bind him to silence; Mandy’s bring her nothing but pain and disappointment. Only when they focus on what’s behind the images can they embrace their secrets for what they are—truth.
My Thoughts:
Unfortunately this book didn't work for me and I stopped reading at 56%.  I am so baffled because this book has really high ratings and I expected to love it.

The biggest reason for my DNF was because the first half of the book was centered around Mandy and Lucien playing a game of tag with words.  They both wanted each other, but neither one would make the first move so they used their words to get to each other.  Normally I would call this flirting but what they did went beyond flirting.  Plus they each knew they were hot so it wasn't really fun reading about them.

Now I know I have said I am not about romance these days, but that's not my issue with this book.  I went into it knowing that the romance would be front and center.  What my problem was that the romance didn't move and took up the entire story.  There is a major plotline here with immortal people, crazy paintings, and a camera that shows peoples true colors but at 56% I barely got a glimpse of these things.  They were mentioned more in passing and I just couldn't read anymore banter between the main characters to get to the good stuff.  It just wasn't good banter.

Lucien I kinda liked actually, but Mandy really bothered me.  Her character boarded on obnoxious and she was just too self assured.  Yes she ran a very successful blog and had major music connections, but she could have been a bit more humble.  She knew she was the shit and didn't try to hide it.  That kind of character bothers me and I tend to want them not to get the guy in the end.

I am really disappointed with this one and I feel so left out of the 4 star club.  Maybe I'll return to this after I read a few books to cleanse my pallet because the overall story sounds amazing and definitely one that I would probably like.

My 2 suns is for Lucien and the possibility of an amazing story.

2 suns


-Read a book with a rating higher than 4.25 on Goodreads




1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry that you weren't able to enjoy this one more Crystal, it does sound like it has a lot of potential too! But at least you were able to enjoy it somewhat, thanks to Lucien ;)

    ReplyDelete