Sunday, September 13, 2020

Sunday Post #89


The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated reviewer book blog, and is a post to recap my bookish and non-bookish things from the last week. 

Well it's been another week of California burning. The state is blanketed with smoke and the news is depressing. On a positive note the smoke cover has made it so we've cooled down a bit and the triple digit weather they've forecasted hasn't happened. Instead we're in the 80's and 90's and it cools down quite a bit at night. I hope the lower temps help get some of these fires under control.  Right now I'm on bad news overload so I've gone into ostrich mode. This bird is burying her head in the sand with books and Netflix!

Read:
Click on cover for Goodreads link:


Home Before Dark was a haunted house horror story, scary in parts with a mystery that kept me guessing! The Ghost Story wasn't as scary as I'd hoped. More a coming of age sort of Brothers Grimm horror fairy tale. Still, entertaining.

Received/Purchased/Library Lend:
Click on cover for Goodreads link:

I just downloaded the audio and e-book version today of Never Look Back through Kindle Unlimited and I'm already 75% through the book! Looking forward to Anxious People as so many praise Fredik Bachman. Love Maisey Yates so of course!

Watched:


Didn't know this was based on a Katherine Center novel! Figured it out about a quarter way through. Really enjoyed this one, but I bet the book fleshed out the characters and motivations better. Loved the setting and the old Texas farmhouse where her aunt lived! I ohhhed and ahhhed over the farmhouse.



How was your week?


30 comments:

  1. I got so happy when I googled your blog name and yours was the only one that showed up. You'd be surprised!any who..yeah, I hope the fires get under control in CA as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that one of Center's books was adapted. I have only read one of her older books, but have heard they are quite different from what she has put out lately. I'll probably read them though. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read an older book of hers and it was a mixed bag for me. Her newer stories are more suited to my tastes.

      Delete
  3. Glad those atrocious fires did a small thing good like bring your temps down. I can handle only so much news at a time, too.
    Pulling out the spooky reads, I see. :)

    Have a good week, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, those spooky read are a nice change from the bad news! You, too, Sophia Rose!

      Delete
  4. These fires are awful. I hope they're out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are whizzing through Never Look Back. Wow when did Josh Duhamel get so old? lol I don't blame you for being an ostrich. I should stop reading so much because it just makes me sad or horrified or angry. I hope things improve there.

    Anne - Books of my Heart Here is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing about Josh Duhamel!!!

      Delete
    2. I kinda like the silver fox thing he had going. Better than the too pretty look he had before, but that's just me, lol!

      Delete
  6. I would bury my head in the sand too! Each time I see footage of the west coast its frightening! Stay Safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is frightening! And depressing that the warnings about global warming haven't been heeded and now we pay... Thanks, Samantha!

      Delete
  7. I hear you, the news is overwhelming lately. I hope the fires and smoke get better soon. I feel for all of you in CA (And OR and Wash) suffering through it- it's terrible. Stay safe and be well!

    Hope your week is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the cooler temps help all on the West Coast! Thanks, Greg! You, too!

      Delete
  8. I would have done the same. Too many bad news is overwhelming and makes me want to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have been watching about the fires. it is horrible and i hope you are not in any danger. i have been as much of an ostrich as possible for some time now
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not in any danger, it's just depressing that so much has burned and it's soooo smoky! Has been for weeks now. The air quality makes it impossible to exercise outside which is a mood lifter for me.

      Delete
  10. Home Before Dark is one I really want to read. You know I love a good haunted house story. And I totally get the ostrich thing. I've been wanting to do that all summer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pictures of California we are seeing here are apocalyptic, please stay safe!

    I really want to read Home Before Dark, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had not heard of that movie

    Also, scary world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the movie! More than I thought I would. I have such low expectations for adaptations. Yes, very scary!

      Delete
  13. I know what you mean about bad news overload. I get to that point, too, and just have to check out of real life for a while. :/ Interesting about the movie being based on a Center novel. That happened to me over the weekend. I started watch an Amazon Prime movie and realized that I'd read the book several year ago. And actually the movie was better than the book. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what movie was that, Tanya? I'm curious if I read it and I'd definitely like to watch it if you liked it better than the book!

      Delete
    2. The movie is on Amazon Prime and is called Chemical Hearts. A few minutes into it I realized... hey, I know this story. LOL It's based on the book Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland. I remember I didn't enjoy the book much but when I went back and read my GR review I had to laugh... I was harsh! :) The movie was pretty good, though, so there's that.

      Delete
    3. Lol! Oh well, you just wrote what you were feeling. I'm going to look it up for sure! It's so hard to find anything to watch for me.

      Delete
  14. I'm glad you're getting some cooler weather. I hope that helps all the fires and smoke. It's just crazy!!! I'd be hiding away in Netflix and books too. I'm glad you liked Home Before Dark - I really loved that one too.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is cooling down quite a bit at night and it seems like the humidity is rising which helps too. It was fun, right?

      Delete