Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Review: The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher
Published November 14th, 2011
Purchase: Amazon

About the book

Olivia Kaspen has just discovered that her ex-boyfriend, Caleb Drake, has lost his memory. With an already lousy reputation for taking advantage of situations, Olivia must decide how far she is willing to go to get Caleb back. Wrestling to keep her true identity and their sordid past under wraps, Olivia’s greatest obstacle is Caleb’s wicked, new girlfriend; Leah Smith. It is a race to the finish as these two vipers engage in a vicious tug of war to possess a man who no longer remembers them. But, soon enough Olivia must face the consequences of her lies, and in the process discover that sometimes love falls short of redemption.

My Thoughts - In the form of a letter to the author...
Dear Tarryn Fisher.

I’ve never done these before… you know… write a letter to an author, but I just don’t know any other way to process what you just put me through. I’ve talked directly to characters before, but never to their creator, so maybe we can chat for just a bit? Hope that’s okay with you. >.<

Anywho, you’ll probably notice that I’m a pretty avid reader that has some eclectic taste in books. I’m not one to shy away from emotional… twisted… or heart rending because I’d like to consider myself stable enough to handle it… I hope others would agree, but I’m not putting it up for debate. Well, in the nicest way possible I’d just like to ask… what the hell did you just put me through?? I mean you really messed with my psyche! I went through such a draining mental battle the entire time I was reading this novel that I just can’t get it out of my head!

At the end of this journey I’m left wondering, was I suppose to care for Olivia Kaspen? Part of me recognizes that she’s a twisted little lollipop, but you know what? I liked her damn it! Was that suppose to happen? There were so many moments that I wanted to hug her, but I bet that’s as smart as kissing a honey badger, right? You really outdid yourself in crafting one of the most complex, intriguing and captivating characters I’ve ever had the misfortune of meeting, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Her dialog, both in her head and with others, was so utterly engrossing that I’d find myself highlighting passages of beautifully twisted words.

Then… then… you go and throw Caleb Drake into the mix. What the hell was that all about??? I loved him… I felt sorry for him… he later made me want to hurt him… Why? What was I suppose to feel for him? Why do I find him so absolutely attractive, yet slightly pathetic, but mostly painfully beautiful? Again, what was I suppose to feel for him?

Sweet painful hell, I’m all sorts of confused and befuddled that I seriously think I need a time-out from this story, but you know what? Not going to happen. See as soon as I finished The Opportunist last night, I picked up Dirty Red and I’m more than half way through and pretty much scared shitless about how you plan to close this crazy disaster. I really don’t want it to end and I know I’m going to be a complete mess when it’s over, so I hope your books include a couple of vouchers for therapy, but if not… I’m screwed!

In the end, I don’t think I’ve ever met an author who was able to create two absolutely beautifully broken characters that consumed my thoughts to such a degree where I’m afraid of coming to the last page. My heart is beating bombastically just anticipating how this will end. Amazing!

Take your bow Fisher, you deserved it for this brilliant piece of fiction!

Sincerely and seriously messed up,
a…
5 Scorching Suns

No comments:

Post a Comment