Thursday, May 2, 2013

Review: Now You See Me by S.J. Bolton

Now You See Me (Lacey Flint, #1)
Now You See Me (Lacey Flint, #1)   by S.J. Bolton
Published on  June 7, 2011 by Minotaur Books
Purchase: Amazon
About the Book
One night after interviewing a reluctant witness at a London apartment complex, Lacey Flint, a young detective constable, stumbles onto a woman brutally stabbed just moments before in the building’s darkened parking lot. Within twenty-four hours a reporter receives an anonymous letter that points out alarming similarities between the murder and Jack the Ripper’s first murder—a letter that calls out Lacey by name. If it’s real, and they have a killer bent on re-creating London’s bloody past, history shows they have just five days until the next attempt.

No one believes the connections are anything more than a sadistic killer’s game, not even Lacey, whom the killer seems to be taunting specifically. However, as they investigate the details of the case start reminding her more and more of a part of her past she’d rather keep hidden. And the only way to do that is to catch the killer herself.

Fast paced and completely riveting, S. J. Bolton’s Now You See Me is a modern gothic novel that is nothing less than a masterpiece of suspense fiction.
My Thoughts:
I have rediscovered my love of murder mysteries!  Now You See Me totally scared the you know what out of me and I loved every single minute!  I might have even fallen off the couch when my phone rang and startled me, but I am not admitting that one ha!

Okay this story!  Lacey Flint is a detective constable and has a very in depth knowledge of serial killers which turns out to be just what she needs after discovering a woman leaning against her car with multiple wounds.  This woman dies in Lacey's arms and from that moment on Lacey's life is not her own.  She is thrown into a case that brings her past into question and also has another detective pointing fingers are her.  When the murders start looking like Jack the Rippers, Lacey knows they are up against a clock and she has to stop the killer from completing his list of victims.

*shudders* okay even that gives me the willies!!  I am telling you this story was intense and downright creepy throughout and I couldn't put it down.  I am fascinated by Jack the Ripper which I am sure sounds strange, but anyway and to see the history of his reign of terror brought into this book really grabbed me.  He was a monster and the killer that is in this book is exactly the same type of monster.  It was frightening to read what these poor women went through and I can honestly say I have locked all my doors and I will not open it for ANYBODY ever again!

This story is very complex and just when you think you know who the killer is the last chapter happens and BAM your whole world will explode!  I never would have guessed the author had that up their sleeve and it really made the story in my opinion.  It was a genius move!

I really liked Lacey even though there were times I wanted to flick her.  She in the end did what I wanted her to do all along and I really felt the strength in her character.  I wish she would have trusted Josebury, another detective, a little more but knowing what I know now I can see why she choose to hide certain things.  Nothing would have been the same if she would have told him her backstory.  I liked these two together and I am very eager to get my hands on the next installment to see if their chemistry turns into anything.  I also really liked Tully, she was the main detective on the case and I would love to have her as a main character.  She was tough and took nothing from nobody, exactly what you want in these types of books.

While I really want to read the sequel to Lacey's story I have to wait.  My poor over imagination can only take so much and this book with its Jack the Ripper scene really scared the daylights out of me.  Don't let that turn you away though.  Lacey's story is brilliant and one you will not want to miss!

 4 suns 
*Copy was provided by the publisher for an honest review.  Big thanks to Minotaur Books!*

No comments:

Post a Comment