Saturday, May 25, 2013

Review: REAL by Katy Evans

Real (Real, Raw & Ripped, #1)

Real by Katy Evans
Published April 8th 2013
About the book:
A fallen boxer.
A woman with a broken dream.
A competition…

He even makes me forget my name. One night was all it took, and I forgot everything and anything except the sexy fighter in the ring who sets my mind ablaze and my body on fire with wanting…

Remington Tate is the strongest, most confusing man I’ve ever met in my life.

He’s the star of the dangerous underground fighting circuit, and I’m drawn to him as I’ve never been drawn to anything in my life. I forget who I am, what I want, with just one look from him. When he’s near, I need to remind myself that I am strong–but he is stronger. And now it’s my job to keep his body working like a perfect machine, his taut muscles primed and ready to break the bones of his next opponents . . .

But the one he’s most threatening to, now, is me.

I want him. I want him without fear. Without reservations.

If only I knew for sure what it is that he wants from me?

My Thoughts:

*Disclosure - there are some swearing and spoilers in this review*

And I'd give up forever to touch you...
Cause I know that you feel me somehow...
You're the closest to heaven that I've ever been and I don't want to go home right now...


That is one of the most romantic and memorable songs of all time, and I love that it was a big part of this book.

Remington Riptide Tate is such a beautiful, powerful, possessive man - with a heart of GOLD that makes you melt into a puddle on the ground. An underground fighter with a legion of fans, he's damaged and dealing with his own inner demons. Never has he fallen for someone so strongly or wanted someone so badly as he does Brooke Dumas.

Brooke had spent many years with the dreams of being an Olympic runner, when a horrible double-injury shattered her chances. Now a physical therapist, she focuses her time helping and healing other athletes. One night her best friend drags her to an underground fight, where she sees first hand the delicious and incredible Remy. And after an intense first encounter together - Remy will seek her out to hire her as one of his staff - traveling around the country with him.

They have an instant attraction that they try to fight - her because she's trying to be professional, and him because he doesn't think he's good enough for her and afraid once she knows about his past and his issues, she will run. But the more time they spend together, the harder it is to deny what they feel. It's a slow (and often FRUSTRATING) build up to their relationship. You can feel the sexual tension while these two dance around each other. But the reasons for Remy's hesitance is so understandable - my heart BROKE for this man. He was so beautiful on the inside.

"He compels me like nothing in my life ever has."

And once they finally give in to their feelings - serious s*** will hit the fan, testing their trust and love.

"I'm every woman's adventure, damn you, and I don't want to be yours. I want to be your fucking REAL. You're all I think about, dream about. I get high and low and it's all about you now, it's not even about me anymore."

"He wanted my touch as if it grounded him, and my mouth was the only warmth in his cold, the only light in his dark."


They have this incredible, beautiful love where every moment together felt cherished and amazing - understanding each other better than anyone else ever could. And the 'family' of people Remy had on his team were a wonderful bonus to the story - you couldn't help but love them all and their part in his life.

This book was gut-wrenching and emotional. I felt highs and lows through the entire time I read it and when a book can do that - it deserves a lot of praise. It was so much more than a book about romance and sex - there are more serious issues that are addressed that make this book so REAL and wonderful. And how I loved the epilogue. That was perfection.  What a beautiful wonderful ending!
I look forward to reading more about Remy and Brooke in the next book of the series! 

4.5 Suns



No comments:

Post a Comment