Thursday, June 6, 2013

Review: Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness, #2) by Claire Contreras

Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness, # 2)



Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness, #2) by Claire Contreras
Publication Date: May 30, 2013
Purchase: Amazon
Is love ever enough?

Faced with obstacles she could have never imagined, Blake is brought to darkness and back by forces in her past she never knew existed.
Desperate to stay connected to the only thing he loves, Cole is forced to revisit his past and align himself with the people who knew about Blake’s disappearance.
Separation has forced both Blake and Cole to learn how to live under the worst circumstances, each of them alone in their own hell.

When they reunite, can they be the same two people they were before darkness swept upon them?
Told in separate points of view, Darkness Before Dawn is the continuation of Blake and Cole’s fight to make it to the light.

My Thoughts:

Darkness Before Dawn was a gripping, page turning story and continuation of Blake and Cole’s story, following There is No Light in Darkness. The first book ended with Blake being kidnapped while Cole was away for work. The emotional state that these two key characters displayed was so heartfelt and breathtaking. If there were ever a couple who has faced the difficulties that these two have faced, I have yet to discover it. This story is one that you will find difficult to put down.

Despite the typos, I focused on the story told, and I will assure you, that this is one story that will leave a mark on you. I admit, while reading this, I shed a few tears and experienced waves of anger, sadness, hope, and happiness that only you will understand once you read this for yourself. It is told through Blake and Cole's POV. I think it really pulled me into their own personal hell and was able to connect with what they were going through. Both sad and happy times, it was a compelling read.

I am still in awe at the events that took place in Darkness Before Dawn. Blake and Cole have never had a conventional life. From a young age they have faced adversity and as they grew into adults, they together have faced every moment of their past and present together as a team. The chemistry between these two is intense and full of fierce determination. It’s hard to fathom the obstacles they have overcome and yet despite those, they cling to one another to surpass even the most difficult of circumstances. Lies, deception and turmoil surround them at every turn. Blake and Cole stand out as one of my favorite couples of all-time.

In one of Blake’s darkest hours as a victim of a kidnapping, an unlikely ally pulls from the shadows and feeds hope into her life. Dean works among a group of guys that have a vendetta against Blake’s biological family. She herself is unaware of her lineage and as the story unravels, she learns that she is in the center of two very powerful families and one of them wants revenge using Blake as their pawn.

I still cannot believe the twists thrown at every corner and the depth that Ms. Contreras takes making this one unforgettable story. She goes there, not holding back and I loved every second of it!

Cole was just gutted when Blake was taken. The emotion was intense. There wasn’t a second that I didn’t feel his heartbreak or determination to find his one true love.  The things he does for her are so sweet and intense. He is a true prince charming.

Behind this power couple, stands a group of friends who were so awesome and supportive. I love that Aubry calls Blake “cowboy.” Aimee, Coles sister, was a great partner for Aubry. Alex, whom I hated at first, and by the end, I had a new understanding and I couldn’t help but feel for him a little. Liam touched a soft spot in my heart and I felt for him and even though he made some unwise choices, I was able to look past them and appreciate his efforts.  New characters emerge into the pages. Connor, I absolutely loved this guy. Dean, the spark of hope for Blake when little remained. I loved this character.

Despite everything these two have overcome, their story only got better and better. Their chemistry was off the charts and as addicting as the story itself. The compassion and truthfulness of their love was captivating. I will not hide the fact that I cried at the end of this book. I shed tears for so many reasons and when it came to the end, it was in pure joy for Blake and Cole. Don't miss out on this amazing book.

“I love you and will be with you, fighting for you until the end of the world. I love you for loving me, and I love you for allowing me to love you. I love you to the moon and back. Forever.” – Cole to Blake


1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to read this series. I absolutely adore Claire, so I am super excited to read her books!!

    ReplyDelete