Monday, June 15, 2015

Review: 99 Days by Katie Cotugno

99 Days by Katie Cotugno
Published April 21st 2015 by Balzer + Bray
Day 1: Julia Donnelly eggs my house my first night back in Star Lake, and that’s how I know everyone still remembers everything—how I destroyed my relationship with Patrick the night everything happened with his brother, Gabe. How I wrecked their whole family. Now I’m serving out my summer like a jail sentence: Just ninety-nine days till I can leave for college, and be done.

Day 4: A nasty note on my windshield makes it clear Julia isn’t finished. I’m expecting a fight when someone taps me on the shoulder, but it’s just Gabe, home from college and actually happy to see me. “For what it’s worth, Molly Barlow,” he says, “I’m really glad you’re back.”

Day 12: Gabe got me to come to this party, and I’m actually having fun. I think he’s about to kiss me—and that’s when I see Patrick. My Patrick, who’s supposed to be clear across the country. My Patrick, who’s never going to forgive me. 

My Thoughts
I’m surprised about my reaction to 99 Days. This is a book I normally wouldn't like because of the love triangle between a girl and two brothers, but for some reason it kept me interested, and I never really had the urge to punch Molly in the face. I must have been in a really good mood because under different circumstances, I would have dropped this story like a bad habit.

99 Days takes place after Molly returns home after finishing her senior year at a boarding school states away from her hometown. When she last left, she was the center of attention after her romance between Gabe and Patrick went public and caused a backlash among her friends. The details of the publicity had my blood boiling because her mother, who happens to be an author, wrote a story based on Molly’s romance between her and the two brother.

First off, there weren't too many people I liked in this novel. I couldn't stand the mother. I don't care if her profession is writing fiction, but to use your daughter for fodder was just unacceptable. And most importantly, I couldn't understand how her mom refused to apologize for ruining her daughter's life. She seemed so disconnected and uncaring. Just wow…

Also, Molly never really tried to make things easy on herself. She kept jumping from brother to brother and when people would attack her for her stupid choices, she was a jellyfish! It takes two people to cause a scandal, and I wish she would have stood up for herself sooner.

Lastly, I never really got the sense that Patrick was a nice guy, so the fact that Molly cheated (which she really didn’t – they were on a break… cue Friends) on him, I wasn’t that moved by the whole debacle. Not saying he deserved it, but rather, I just didn’t care.

Overall the story took me by surprise. Not a book I would normal enjoy but the writing was entertaining and the story kept flowing, so I stuck with it. Not great, but not terrible either.
3 Suns

No comments:

Post a Comment