Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Audio Review: The Shop on Royal Street by Karen White

 

The Shop on Royal Street (Royal Street #1) by Karen White
Publication Date: March 29th 2011 by Penguin Audio
Pages: 384
Audio Book Length: 14hrs 8min
Narrator: Sophie Amoss
Source: Library
Rating: 
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo Audible | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
I really liked Nola. I'd love to restore an old home back to its former glory, a project Nola has undertaken, although maybe with not so many obstacles! A woman was murdered at the house years earlier, but this doesn't deter Nola from buying the house, after all, an old house is bound to have a death or two. But she is curious about the murder and with the help of her bestie, Jolene, Nola starts digging around to find out what actually happened.

The lingering ghosts hindered Nola's efforts to renovate, because workers were spooked as stories of the house were well known. The history involves Beau, a friend Nola has a complicated relationship with and they end up working together.

Loved the descriptions of New Orleans, the old homes, architecture, and antiques! Loved Nola’s best friend Jolene with all her Southern ways and sayings! She cracked me the heck up! I hope both Nola and Jolene get their romances sorted! Jackson, the DA Jolene pines for has an on-again-off-again girlfriend, and Beau is unavailable as well. It’s a little messy, but there’s so many other things going on that it’s not the center focus.

I listened to the audio version narrated by Sophie Amoss. Her performance was excellent! Looking forward to the next one! 

4 Stars


Book Description:

Nola Trenholm is hopeful for a fresh start in the Big Easy but must deal with ghosts from her past—as well as new ones—in this first book in a spin-off series of Karen White's New York Times bestselling Tradd Street novels.

After a difficult detour on her road to adulthood, Nola Trenholm is looking to begin anew in New Orleans, and what better way to start her future than with her first house? But the historic fixer-upper she buys comes with even more work than she anticipated when the house’s previous occupants don’t seem to be ready to depart.

Although she can’t communicate with ghosts like her stepmother can, luckily Nola knows someone in New Orleans who is able to—even if he’s the last person on earth she wants anything to do with ever again. Beau Ryan comes with his own dark past—a past that involves the disappearance of his sister and parents during Hurricane Katrina—and he’s connected to the unsolved murder of a woman who once lived in the old Creole cottage Nola is determined to make her own...whether the resident restless spirits agree or not.


21 comments:

  1. Wait - Nola in Nola. I thought the first Nola you were talking about was the city. We will move on now....This sounds like a fun mix of romance and mystery (and paranormal?) The setting is a great one as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I thought the same, lol. Yes, there was some ghost activity. It was a nice blend. I loved the houses and setting!

      Delete
  2. I love Nola too and try to read any books I see that take place there.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a place rich in history and interesting culture! I'd love to visit sometime!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Certainly the setting is rich in flavor.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I read this because book 2 was offered to me and I wanted to make sure I liked the first book before accepting. I'm looking forward to book 2!

      Delete
  4. I do love that New Orleans setting...especially when there's an old house involved. And ghosts! This sounds like a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love old houses with history. Maybe not a ghost in real life, but they're fun to read about. It was, Lark! :)

      Delete
  5. I still need to read her first series, but I'm glad this spin off stared out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd be okay to dive into the spinoff without reading the prior series. I did and I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  6. I don't know why I've never read anything by this author. This book will be a good one for me to start with. I'll definitely opt for audiobook. Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh this one sounds so interesting. I do love a story that has such a strong atmospheric feel to it.

    Lovely review darling! Hope you enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Renee! I'm looking forward to the next in the series. You too!

      Delete
  8. I enjoy a story with old homes and the restoration, strong women and friendship. Ghosts are hit or miss for me, but this one sounds good. Great review, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love old homes and restoration! Nola and Jolene were a hoot together! The ghost aspect was interesting here. I enjoyed it. Thanks, Carla!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like an all round good one

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, just like Sam, as soon as I read Nola I thought you were referring to the city. lol I've not listened to anything by Sophie Amoss before. I'll have to keep an eye out for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny that her name is Nola and it's set in the same town! Sophie's voice sounds so familiar to me I wonder if she records under another name too. I need to look her up. She's really good!

      Delete