Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Audiobook Review: The Soulmate by Sally Hepworth

 

The Soulmate by Sally Hepworth
Publication Date: April 4th 2023 by Macmillan Audio
Pages: 336
Audio Book Length: 7hrs 44min
Narrators: Barrie Kreinik & Jessica Douglas-Henry
Source: Publisher
Rating: 
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo Audible | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
Gabe and Pippa Gerard bought the seaside house overlooking the ocean without realizing that it was a popular spot for suicide jumpers. Gabe has since talked several out of jumping. He’s good looking, and charismatic, so it wasn’t surprising he’d be good at changing their mind. However, now a woman succeeds despite Gabe’s efforts, and this opens a whole can of worms, because Gabe knew the woman.

The story is told through Pippa Gerard, Gabe’s wife, and Amanda the dead woman, both in before and after chapters. I liked both women, which was nice because lately thrillers seem to be filled with unlikeable characters making it hard for me to completely enjoy. While neither were perfect, I felt for them and could understand their motivations, even when I didn’t always agree with their actions. I think Pippa’s story touched me just a little more.

The Soulmate was riveting from the first page! I listened to the entire book in one day, not able to stop because I had to know how it all turned out! There are several twists, and most I didn’t guess correctly, but had me thinking back on scenes and thinking “ah, that’s why…” I’m still thinking about the story making think I need to look up more by Sally Hepworth!

I listened to the audio version narrated by Barrie Kreinik and Jessica Douglas-Henry. I’ve enjoyed Barrie Kreinik’s narration in the past and loved her performance of Pippa’s POV! Her Australian accent is lovely to listen to. Jessica Douglas-Henry’s performance of Amanda was also well done. I highly recommend the audio version! I listened at my usual 1.5x normal speed.

4 Stars


Book Description:

Get ready for a thrilling, addictive novel about marriage, betrayal, and the secrets that push us to the edge in Sally Hepworth's The Soulmate.

There’s a cottage on a cliff. Gabe and Pippa’s dream home in a sleepy coastal town. But their perfect house hides something sinister. The tall cliffs have become a popular spot for people to end their lives. Night after night Gabe comes to their rescue, literally talking them off the ledge. Until he doesn’t.

When Pippa discovers Gabe knew the victim, the questions spiral...Did the victim jump? Was she pushed?

And would Gabe, the love of Pippa’s life, her soulmate...lie? As the perfect facade of their marriage begins to crack, the deepest and darkest secrets begin to unravel.

17 comments:

  1. I've not read her books before, but I've seen them around. This does sound pretty compelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great story! One you'd want to read straight through. I also loved The Good Sister by her so I think I need to look up more of her backlist.

      Delete
  2. I really liked this one, Rachel! I listened to it in a single day too. I definitely need to read more of this author's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's one you can't put down! I loved The Good Sister as well. I'd recommend that, but I'd like to listen to more of her back list as Barrie Kreinik narrates several by Hepworth. Great combo for me!

      Delete
  3. This author isn't one I have tried. The premise intrigues me though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent review, Rachel. I hope to listen to this book as well, maybe next week if I can fit it in. Jessica Douglas-Henry is a new narrator to me, I'm glad to hear she was an enjoyable one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Riveting reads are always the most memorable! Glad to see it was such a win for you there. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when a story makes you keep thinking afterwards! And that whole cottage on a cliff setting is so great. Definitely want to check this one out. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The setting sounded beautiful! Without the jumpers, that is... :)

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you found this story riveting and enjoyed the audiobook narration. I'm looking forward to listening to the audiobook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it, Lucy! I look forward to your thoughts!

      Delete
  8. Good review! This one is on my radar for this month as well. Hope I like it as much as you did. Have a terrific week.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-44

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have listened to and enjoyed Kreinik too :D

    ReplyDelete