Friday, April 21, 2023

Review: Jane & Edward by Melodie Edwards

 
Jane & Edward by Melodie Edwards
Publication Date: March 21st 2023 by Berkley
Pages: 352
Source: Publisher
Rating: 
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
Jane Raine was thrust into foster care when her father dies and there’s no will. She spends years feeling unwanted, and then just getting by on her own waitressing, until she takes classes to become a legal assistant and begins work at Rosen, Haythe & Thornfield LLP.  Jane can’t believe it when she’s hired right out of school to be the assistant to one of the partners, but it soon becomes apparent she got the job because no one else wants it with Edward Rosen’s reputation of being difficult and scary. However, Jane doesn’t have the luxury of just quitting and is determined to stick it out no matter how badly Mr. Rosen behaves.

I love the original story of Jane Eyre and so when I heard of Jane & Edward, a modern reimagining of the story, I jumped at a chance to read it and was not disappointed! I liked the fact that it didn’t follow the story as closely as a re-telling would, because I didn’t know exactly how things would go and I enjoyed the differences. Melodie Edwards brought these characters to life, and I felt my heart soar right along with Jane when she found love and friends. I also felt her longing and heartbreak acutely.  I loved that there was an actual physical romance (instead of just an emotional one like the original), while a fade to black on some of the encounters, the kisses were sensual and lusty!

Loved the gradual transformation of insecure, lonely Jane into someone gaining friends and confidence! I relished seeing her stand up for herself in the present and for the injustices heaped on her while young!

It's not necessary to read the original Jane Eyre to enjoy Jane & Edward. It’s a swoony, heartfelt romance with bits of humor and sweetness that stands strong on its own! A definite recommend!

5 Stars


Book Description:

This powerful reimagining of Jane Eyre, set in a modern-day law firm, is full of romance and hope as it follows the echoing heartbeats of the classic story.

A former foster kid, Jane has led a solitary life as a waitress in the suburbs, working hard to get by. Tired of years of barely scraping together a living, Jane takes classes to become a legal assistant and shortly after graduating accepts a job offer at a distinguished law firm in downtown Toronto. Everyone at the firm thinks she is destined for failure because her boss is the notoriously difficult Edward Rosen, the majority stakeholder of Rosen, Haythe & Thornfield LLP. But Jane has known far worse trials and refuses to back down when economic freedom is so close at hand.

Edward has never been able to keep an assistant--he's too loud, too messy, too ill-tempered. There's something about the quietly competent, delightfully sharp-witted Jane that intrigues him though. As their orbits overlap, their feelings begin to develop--first comes fondness and then something more. But when Edward's secrets put Jane's independence in jeopardy, she must face long-ignored ghosts from her past and decide if opening her heart is a risk worth taking.


17 comments:

  1. This does sound like a very good retelling...or reimaging of this classic story. Another one to put on my list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, Lark! I hope you enjoy it if you read it. :)

      Delete
  2. Re-tellings are sometimes a miss for me. Based on your review, I'm looking forward to reading this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I read an awful one for Pride & Prejudice a couple years back that made hesitant to pick them up. Hope you like it, Lucy!

      Delete
  3. wow a 5 STAR read? That is so amazing darling. I love that this is a Jane Eyre retelling, thats so fun. Sounds like the romance was really delivered on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't normally read re-imaginings or reworkings of classics, but this one seems like one I'd read, and I have it on my Kindle! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it too, Harvee. Looking forward to your thoughts.

      Delete
  5. I never read Jane Eyre, but I also was thrilled for all the success Jane found - friendship, love, a pop of color. It didn't even have to be major. From what I gather, that is the essence of the original Jane. This character who had experienced so many difficult things, but pushed on. That was captured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you enjoyed it, Sam! I don't think it was necessary to read the original to love the story.

      Delete
  6. It's been so long since I read many of these classics that I recall little of them. Except for some favorites that really stayed with me. I think I will read them but really I don't enjoy historical fiction or romance very often. Or at least I am picky about it. I do enjoy historical mystery though. And Courtney Milan.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while since I've read the original Jane Eyre but I've watched film adaptations too so the story has kind of stuck in my head. I really enjoyed this contemporary spin on the story. It didn't follow the original closely and I liked that.

      Delete
  7. I've never read Jane Eyre so I would have no idea of the similarities but this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good! You don't have to read the original to enjoy it.

      Delete
  8. I'm a Jane Eyre fan, too. Yes, please, to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did love Jane Eyre, so any sort of retelling would be interesting

    ReplyDelete