Friday, November 3, 2023

Review & Excerpt: Blood Sisters by Vanessa Lillie

 

Blood Sisters by Vanessa Lillie
Publication Date: October 31st 2023 by Berkley
Pages: 384
Source: Publisher 
Rating: ½
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | KoboGoodreads 

My Thoughts:
Syd, an archaeologist working for the Bureau of Indian Affairs, is sent to her hometown to investigate after a scull is found at the site where she and her sister were nearly killed.  Returning home stirs up all kinds of emotions for Syd, still being haunted by the events of the past.  It’s also difficult since she hasn’t kept close ties with her family.

When Syd arrives, she discovers her sister, Emmy Lou, is missing, and her investigation into the scull gets put on the back burner as she races to find her.

Blood Sisters was an engrossing thriller with some twists and action, but I struggled with Syd and her TSTL decisions.  Constantly going off half-cocked into dangerous situations with no plan, backup, or weapons was frustrating.

I did appreciate how the author featured real-life struggles and injustices affecting Native people, both currently and throughout history.

 
Excerpt:



Book Description:

A visceral and compelling mystery about a Cherokee archaeologist for the Bureau of Indian Affairs who is called back to rural Oklahoma to investigate the disappearance of two women…one of them is her sister…

There are secrets in the land.

As an archaeologist for the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Syd Walker spends her days in Rhode Island trying to protect the land's Indigenous past, even as she’s escaping her own.

While Syd is dedicated to her job, she’s haunted by a night of violence she barely escaped in her Oklahoma hometown fifteen years ago. Even though she swore she’d never go back, the past comes calling.

What happens to the land happens to the women.

When a skull is found near the crime scene of her youth, just as her sister, Emma Lou, disappears, Syd knows she must return to Oklahoma. She refuses to let her sister, or the remains, go ignored as so often happens in cases of missing Native women.

But not everyone is glad to have Syd home. The search for Emma Lou puts Syd in the crosshairs of local drug dealers looking to build an empire and vengeful vigilantes policing the abandoned mines, while government officials silence tribal rights.

The truth will be unearthed.

The deeper Syd digs, the more she uncovers about a string of missing Indigenous women cases trailing back decades. To save her sister, she must expose a darkness in town that no one wants to face—not even Syd.

14 comments:

  1. The premise alone has me hooked. You know I can't resist a good thriller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! It was full of action. Hope you enjoy it if you pick it up, Ethan!

      Delete
  2. I really want to read this one...but I do find TSTL female characters especially frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is frustrating. I still enjoyed it. I'd like to hear what you think, Lark. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my word, she did rush at her death a few times. So much broke my heart in this one, too.

    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did! I would've at least had some pepper spray on me! Bear spray would be better, and told someone where I was going! Yes! Those poor murdered women and the women from Syd's past. Don't want to give anything away, but it broke my heart!

      Delete
  4. yes I had some issues with the TSTL but did like the connection to real life events although it seemed tragic to me. Excellent review!

    Anne - Books of My Heart


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy how she shone a light on all the injustices and that it was based on a real life case. Unfortunately, it's a story that happens way too often in real life, especially to women of any race! Thank you, Anne!

      Delete
  5. I can admit that a frustrating MC dampens my enjoyment. I had to good TSTL - too stupid to live? HA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lol! I had to Google is a while back too when I saw it in reviews.

      Delete
  6. I really struggle with characters that are TSTL especially when its in a suspense/thriller type of plot setting. The premise of this one sounds very interesting.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good premise. I did enjoy the story, was just frustrated with our main character at times.

      Delete
  7. Nice review, Rachel. I have this one to read and need to get to it soon. I get frustrated when law enforcement goes into dangerous situations without letting anyone know or without backup. It still sounds like a good story though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure about the tstl moments, those are so annoying

    ReplyDelete