Saturday, November 18, 2023

Sunday Post #230

 


The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated reviewer book blog, and is a post to recap my bookish and non-bookish things from the last week. I'm also linking up to The Sunday Salon hosted by Deb Nance @Readerbuzz.

Worked an extra day again this week. Worked, ran, read and worked my puzzle. Didn't do anything out of the ordinary, but this next week my nephew comes up with his girlfriend and my sister (his mother) and I have dinner planned at her house Thanksgiving Day and at my house on Saturday. We'll probably do the usual when friends/family come to visit. Check out three of the historic towns here, do some shopping, sightseeing. 

It's been pouring all day and I like to stay home when it rains so much, but I had a hair appointment. Came back, fixed dinner, and have been reading. 

I noticed the Goodreads Choice Awards are up. I find their selection lacking and you can no longer write in a title, which is disappointing. I wonder if titles get picked just because they happen to be the one read, not because they were an outstanding read. I was happy with the romance, mystery, and horror selection.

Read:
(Click on cover for Goodreads link)

Better Hate Than Never- 3.5 Stars
The Christmas Appeal- 4 Stars



Received/Purchased/Library Lend:



Thank you to HTP books, Dutton, Bethany House, Dreamscape Media and my library! 

Also, won a copy of Magic Bites from Anne @Books of My Heart:


Thank you, Anne!

Instagram:

Such a gorgeous book cover! The story was lovely, too. 
The background to this photo was the view from my bedroom window this last February. Not sure I'm ready for that much snow again, lol!




How was your week?




33 comments:

  1. I don't get how we can be voting on books at Goodreads when the year isn't over yet. What about books that come out in the next six weeks? Much less books that came out in the last four weeks. Not everyone would have a chance to read them either. Wait until January already!

    Not that I vote since the choices never reflect my tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mark, they should hold the voting until January at the very least!

      Delete
  2. Have a lovely time with family and a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I hadn't read most of the goodreads choice books. I always feel like the romance category is lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also disappointed that you can no longer write in a title for the awards! That being said, I already wih you a happy Thanksgiving Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have great plans for the holiday. I hope the weather improves so you can get outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain cleared but it was cold today! Barely broke 50, but we're supposed to have gorgeous weather for the rest of the week. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  6. You have such fun activities when you aren't working. I never seem to like the choices very much for the Goodreads awards. Often they are ones I haven't read and wouldn't choose. And I read 300 books a year! Excited to see you got Missing Witness. That publisher doesn't like me but I can get it on audio ARC which I prefer anyway.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read 300 books a year and still don't read much of the selection, that's saying something! I usually end up buying the Allison Brennan audios, lol!

      Delete
  7. Hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving weekend! It sounds like you have a lot of fun activities planned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a nice Thanksgiving! Those sound like fun plans. We're looking forward to relaxing too. I haven't seen the Goodreads awards yet, I'll have to check those out.

    Congrats on winning the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg! I hope you get some rest and fun family time! :)

      Delete
  9. Agreed about the meh GoodReads Choice Vote. Have a wonderful time when your nephew comes up and a family Thanksgiving weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with Thanksgiving! I'm never too impressed with Goodreads Choice. I feel like I just see the same popular authors over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw many people were on twitter not liking the goodreads options for romance. I have no idea how they pick the books. I hope you have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how they pick the books either. :/ Hope you do too!

      Delete
  12. We started decorating for the holidays, since we'll be at the lake cabin later this week. I managed to get all the lights on my roof before being rained out, so the rest will have to wait for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't care for the GR choice awards anymore. There choices never reflect my taste.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, they have really lacked late with the choice awards there. They just don't have a good balance of what should be the top picks of the year. Excited to try out that Thayne, so always writes the best cozy christmas reads.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't even looked at the Goodreads awards yet. I am usually disappointed. I am sure that most people simply vote for the book that they are familiar with. I hope that you have a wonderful holiday, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am reading Christmas at Shelters Inn now. Cannot wait for Foster's book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a pretty kitty. I hope the rain stops for Thanksgiving. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like how the Goodreads Awards were originally run; I liked having the ability to nominate titles. I was disappointed with some of the category choices, too.

    Congratulations on winning the book. I love to receive books as prizes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was disappointed too with GR. So many I have never heard of, seen around or anything

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Goodreads list does seem lacking. The Romance section was very difficult to vote in 'cause I've read most of them and liked a lot of them. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope you're having a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend with your family!

    ReplyDelete