Saturday, November 4, 2023

Sunday Post #228

 


The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated reviewer book blog, and is a post to recap my bookish and non-bookish things from the last week. I'm also linking up to The Sunday Salon hosted by Deb Nance @Readerbuzz.

I didn't post last week because I was in Truckee/Tahoe last week for vacation. We met my daughter, SIL, two grandkids, and another family we're friends with. We all stayed at the same house. Four kids under ten: an eight, six, five and three year-old. It was a busy time keeping them all entertained. Surprisingly they got along well...for the most part. 

It was cold! There was a cold front that moved in so it was colder than normal with highs only in the low 40s and lows in the teens. We went to the park, but only ended up staying a while because our hands were freezing! I did think ahead and brought card games, coloring books, and puzzles, so we had plenty to do and the house was large allowing us to spread out. 

Another Charles Wysocki puzzle

The downtown is really cute and old-fashioned. We visited the bookstore there three times! The kids loved it. My grandson is eight and loves reading. They also loved all the toys and plushy animals there.

Word After Word Books in Truckee

Word After Word Books

Back home the weather has been gorgeous, in the low 70s and I've been taking advantage running and gardening because it's supposed to cool down and rain this next week.

A local eatery (with the best milkshakes!) on my run

Fall flowers on my run

This week is back to work...

Read:
(Click on cover for Goodreads link)

Besieged- 4 Stars
The Squirrel on the Train- 4 Stars
Blood Sisters- 3.5 Stars
Christmas at the Shelter Inn- 4 Stars


The Other Side of Midnight- 4 Stars
Wyoming Proud- 3.5 Stars
The Last Devil to Die- 4 Stars




Received/Purchased/Library Lend:

Four library lends (audios):

Three ARCs:


Thank you to Penguin Random House Audio, Berkley, and Catherine Bybee.

Instagram:







How was your week?




41 comments:

  1. That sounds fun! Games and whatnot are nice when it's brrrry out. That bookstore looks nice...

    A Death in Door County looks great, I've been wanting to read that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love doing puzzles and cards when it's cold out. Like today! I hope it's good. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I would love to visit a bookstore like that, it would be so cool. It sounds like you had a nice visit despite the weather. Have a wonderful week, Rachel ☕📚🦃❄️😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love visiting bookstores as well. We did! You too, Jody! :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful trip, though those lows were low. We did get to right below freezing, but mostly, our temperatures are inline with fall norms (regardless of the what the whiners say). That puzzle looks like it was quite an effort. Impressive. Always a plus when the little ones get along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a good time. It definitely is getting colder! The puzzle was fun, plus I was listening to an audiobook while working it. Double fun! For sure! Otherwise I'm pulling my hair out trying to be referee!

      Delete
  4. So neat that you were able to find good activities for bad weather! Kids that love bookstores are fabulous.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like an excellent trip despite the cold weather! We did that a few times with my parents, siblings, and kids when everyone was younger and always had so much fun. The kids are grown, but my siblings and I have been thinking about renting a big house on the beach for a family vacation year... finger crossed! Love the look of that bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to do it! It's a lot of fun, especially for the kids.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you had a great time! And three visits to the bookstore is a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so nice you have family to go away and relax with those various activities. We just don't seem to do that often. You are reading some great books! Your weather at home sounds perfect.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice! I feel privileged. It has been nice, but it's getting cooler.

      Delete
  8. What a great bookstore! I'm always on the lookout for small bookstores to visit when I am on a trip.

    And---oooh!---There Should Have Been Eight sounds delightfully ominous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love small bookstores and try to buy from them when I go. There's one in Austin I want to visit. Yes! I'm excited for it.

      Delete
  9. I can see that you had an amazing time with your family Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun weekend with your family! And that bookstore looks so fun. I wish there was a good bookstore near me. Have a good week this week. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have another I love just about 15 minutes from us. I try to buy from them when I can to support. You too, Lark! :)

      Delete
  11. Too bad the weather wasn't good on your holiday, but family time is wonderful as well. It sounds like you all made the best of it. It looks like you got some good reading in and some great additions to your shelf. Have a wonderful week, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the cold temps when there's a lot of things to do inside. It worked out ok and yes, family time makes it worth it. :)

      Delete
  12. Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Puzzles, games, and books during a cold vacation sounds very cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a great vacation even if it was a bit chilly! I hate the week after vacation...I need vacation from vacation before I go back to work! ha. Love any kind of bookstore! So happy they had one there.
    I've been wanting to read the Osman series. Glad you are enjoying them. I've heard such good things. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need a vacation from my vacation, especially with four little ones, lol! I totally recommend the Osman series! It's sooo good! The audios are the way to go. You have a wonderful week, too!

      Delete
  15. Love the puzzle! I think that I have a couple of his puzzles on my shelf to do soon. It sounds like a fun trip and it is great that the kids all got along for the most part. I hope that you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Charles Wysocki Puzzles! You don't want to know how many I have. Even after cleaning them out from moving last year. I hope you have a wonderful week, too, Carole!

      Delete
  16. That puzzle is awesome and I love that cute bookstore. Looks like you have some awesome books on your list to read and that you have read. I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The puzzle and bookstore was fun! You have a wonderful week too!

      Delete
  17. I love that you visited the bookstore three times! My kind of trip. I listened to Station Eternity a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bookstores and the kids really enjoyed it. Mostly because they got a toy every time, lol! I'm looking forward to it. :)

      Delete
  18. That's a lot of kids but kids have a way of keeping each other entertained most times.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like a wonderful vacation! We head out of town for my SIL's wedding this weekend, so I'm taking off beginning Thursday. It should be a fun event, and I'm looking forward to being away from home for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay bookstore :D Also cool flowers there

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a great trip! Having stuff to do makes all the difference. I'm already collecting games for our trip to see family for Christmas.

    Jill
    http://www.allthebooksihaventread.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such beautiful fall colors in your local area. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete