Saturday, November 11, 2023

Sunday Post #229

 


The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated reviewer book blog, and is a post to recap my bookish and non-bookish things from the last week. I'm also linking up to The Sunday Salon hosted by Deb Nance @Readerbuzz.

I worked an extra day this week and have the same schedule next week. I'm also working on my CME's (continuing medical educational units) that are due this year for my registry. 

Planted more trees, which I think adds up to a grand total of 37 trees we've added on the property since October. My zinnias and petunias basically died out from the frosty nights we've been having with temps dipping down to 29 and 30 degrees overnight last week. It warmed up a bit this week, but we bought a bunch of cold hardy flowers, like cyclamen, pansies, primrose and four holly bushes. I planted all of those today. Also raked up what felt like a million leaves, lol! 

Sleepy Peanut

Fall trees in the neighborhood


Being so busy I didn't get much reading in.



Read:
(Click on cover for Goodreads link)

Check & Mate: between 3-3.5 Stars-still thinking on it
The Happy Life of Isadora Bentley- 4 Stars


Received/Purchased/Library Lend:


I requested the audio copy of Inheritance on Netgalley and was happy to get approval. Thank you to Macmillan Audio! 

I purchased the e-copy of Speak No Evil, but just now realized I had the audio copy in my Audible library all along. I purchased it back in 2014 on a sale but you can no longer get the audio. Not sure why, but I wish I knew because I would've finished the book for a read-along with Anne @Books of My Heart and Berls being that it was on audio. We're currently listening to See No Evil and I'm really enjoying it. Can't remember who the killer is despite having read it before, lol! It was almost ten years ago that I read it, though. I never did get to Fear No Evil and we'll be reading *listening to* that next. 

Instagram:

My one and only Instagram post last week. I have the audio of Iron Flame as well as the pretty hardcover. I'll listen as soon as I get through my read-along and a couple of library lends.





How was your week?




38 comments:

  1. We were noticing that the maples have turned almost unnatural shades of red this week, which here means they are about to drop all the leaves. But like your photo, it's a beautiful sight.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reds around the neighborhood have been beautiful. Two of our bright reds in our yard have already lost all their leaves because of a rain storm. We still have others that are slowly dropping. Raking is a never ending process, lol!

      Delete
  2. The colors are amazing in your neighborhood, and Peanut is a cutie. I was surprised by your Check & Mate rating. I have only seen really high ratings so far. Thirty seven trees! That's a lot of trees. More O2 for you, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're falling fast, but the leaves are so pretty. I'm trying to soak them in. Peanut is a joy! Yes, I usually enjoy Hazelwood, but the heroine was sooo annoying! I did enjoy the story overall.

      Delete
  3. I love that your planting so many trees. That's amazing.
    I just put Speak No Evil on my TBR. Sounds like a book for me.
    Enjoy Iron Flame. I started yesterday!
    Have a great day and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you love Speak No Evil. Allison Brennan is such a great mystery/thriller/romantic suspense writer. You too, Maureen!

      Delete
  4. Reading three books in a week is a good ratio for me. I'm a slower reader with need for frequent breaks, lol. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put Inheritance on hold at the library--thanks for the heads up. It looks like I won't have to wait too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those trees actually glow... Thank you for sharing - what a fantastic sight. And go you for planting so many new trees. Your hardback covers of the Rebecca Yarros books are so very pretty - that's the huge drawback with having ebooks or audio versions. Have a great week:)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the photos don't actually do them justice! They're stunning in person! I try to soak it all in because I know they won't be like that for long. So pretty, though. You too! :)

      Delete
  7. Aww cute cat!! The trees are so pretty too. I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on Iron Flame!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why are sleeping cats always so cute? Good luck with everything this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about a sleepy kitty, right? Thank you, Lark! One day at a time. :)

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous trees! yes I planned a big break between See No Evil and Fear No Evil so we can get to ARCs have a more relaxed Thanksgiving etc. Sounds like you have a lot of work stuff over the next week or so. I didn't know primroses were cold hardy. I love them but haven't ever gotten them to live. I use impatiens in the summer and pansies in the winter for the pots on my front porch. The impatiens haven't died so I haven't gotten the pansies yet.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful trees. I like all the photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never took in my bell peppars when the frost came, sigh. And my carrots are in ice. Arggg

    But lovely trees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things aren't frozen yet here, but we've been having frosty nights. My tomatoes, zucchini, basil are toast. My carrots, green onions, radishes are still okay. You got snow early!

      Delete
  12. I listened to The Happy Life of Isadora Bentley and really enjoyed it! I got Iron Flame too, but haven't started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good! I won't be able to start it until the end of this week at least. Hope we both love it!

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous trees! One of the few Arkansas things I miss. Look at the sweet little Peanut!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's one of the things I don't miss in Southern California. Peanut is a total sweetie!

      Delete
  14. Oh yeah, leaf raking season has me busy filling the bins with leaves blowing in. Wow, you've really been improving your property with all the plantings. Hope your CEUnits classes go well.

    I'm sure you'll enjoy those Alison Brennans in any format. Funny you already had the one. ;)

    Have a good week, Rachel!

    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here with the leaves! We keep filling the bin! Thanks. The thought of CMEs are daunting but once I start getting into them it's not so bad, and interesting too. I hope you have a lovely week as well, Sophia!

      Delete
  15. Love all the planting you are doing. Roberts' book was soooo good! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so happy to hear that, Kimberly! I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  16. Fourth Wing. I have it on my Audible Account. I need to catch up.

    Head Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  17. The trees look great! We spent the weekend in Dallas celebrating my SIL's wedding. It was a wonderful event, and I was sad to have to come back home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a wonderful day.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm impressed with the tree planting you have done. I'm always happy to hear that more trees are being planted in the world.

    I will be curious to see what you think about Inheritance.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have been very busy! The photo of Iron Flame is gorgeous! It looks like I liked Check & Mate more than you did. I hope that you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such pretty trees! We need to plant more trees in the spring. That's great you planted 37. The wind damage here to our popular trees has been pretty extensive, ugh. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's wonderful that you can have that many trees on your property. I have Iron Flame on hold at the library, not sure how long it will take to make it's way to me. And I loved those three books by Allison Brennan. I'm reading Inheritance at the moment. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also was busy in my yard this week, Rachel. I cut the grass for the last time, finished raking more leaves (I only have one apple tree, the rest are from my neighbour) and put up my outside Christmas lights. I hate when I buy a book that I already owned, happens more often than I would like. Enjoy your read alongs. I still haven't read Fourth Wing, but I hope to. Have a wonderful week and don't work too hard. Good luck with your CMEs.

    ReplyDelete