Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Review: The Rom-Commers by Katherine Center

 

The Rom-Commers by Katherine Center
Publication Date: June 11th 2024 by St. Martin's Press & Macmillan Audio
Pages: 336
Audio Book Length: 11hrs 21min
Narrator: Patti Murin & Katherine Center
Source: Publishers
Rating: 
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo Libro.fm | Audible Goodreads

My Thoughts:
Emma put her life and career on hold to care for her sweetheart-of-a-dad when tragedy struck. Now she gets the opportunity of a lifetime to help re-write a rom-com screenplay with screenwriter Charlie Yates, Emma’s idol, but the job isn’t exactly as described.  
 
I absolutely loved The Rom-Commers! I laughed, I cried, and my heart soared with joy! Hard to go wrong with Katherine Center. There’s always layers, with the characters and with the story. I don’t want to break everything down, because I feel it’s better to go in and experience all the lovely for yourself, but it’s a definite 5-Star recommend!
 
I alternately read and listened to an audio version of the story, and I can recommend either version. Patti Murrin narrates, and she acted her heart out, bringing out all the emotions, making each character come to life! So wonderful! I listened at my usual 1.5x normal speed.

5 Stars


Book Description:

She’s rewriting his love story. But can she rewrite her own?

Emma Wheeler desperately longs to be a screenwriter. She’s spent her life studying, obsessing over, and writing romantic comedies―good ones! That win contests! But she’s also been the sole caretaker for her kind-hearted dad, who needs full-time care. Now, when she gets a chance to re-write a script for famous screenwriter Charlie Yates―The Charlie Yates! Her personal writing god!―it’s a break too big to pass up.

Emma’s younger sister steps in for caretaking duties, and Emma moves to L.A. for six weeks for the writing gig of a lifetime. But what is it they say? Don’t meet your heroes? Charlie Yates doesn’t want to write with anyone―much less “a failed, nobody screenwriter.” Worse, the romantic comedy he’s written is so terrible it might actually bring on the apocalypse. Plus! He doesn’t even care about the script―it’s just a means to get a different one green-lit. Oh, and he thinks love is an emotional Ponzi scheme.

But Emma’s not going down without a fight. She will stand up for herself, and for rom-coms, and for love itself. She will convince him that love stories matter―even if she has to kiss him senseless to do it. But . . . what if that kiss is accidentally amazing? What if real life turns out to be so much . . . more real than fiction? What if the love story they’re writing breaks all Emma’s rules―and comes true?


22 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad to hear you liked this one so much. I'm very excited to read it. I just need my library hold to come in. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it, too, Lark! Looking forward to your thoughts!

      Delete
  2. Lots of buzz about this one! Glad to see it was such a hit for you. And it sounds like you can't go wrong with either kindle or audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of buzz for this one! I think it lives up to the hype. Katherine Center is a wonderful writer!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read anything by this author yet, but glad this was so enjoyable!

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read anything from this author before! This one has been making rounds on a bunch of blogs I follow and I'm glad you enjoyed it. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's such a talented writer. I'm not surprised this is all over the place. Thank you, Aimee! :)

      Delete
  5. Ahhh, that's just how one should react to a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this one too. Great review!

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have similar tastes in books, so I'm not surprised! I enjoyed your review, too! Thanks, Anne!

      Delete
  7. It sounds like an emotional story! Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this sounds good and all the feels! Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful review, Rachel. I also enjoyed this one. I also laughed a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how she mixes humor with deeper issues! So happy to hear that, Carla!

      Delete
  10. I felt the same as you, but I mean, it was a Katherine Center book. Of course I was feeling things (mostly glee and happiness). And yes, dad was a sweetheart. I was so happy with the way Center gave everyone a great ending.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a book that can bring out all the feels.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed The Bodyguard by this author, and this one sounds even more like it is my type of book. I'm loving that everyone is liking it so much. Great review!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete