Sunday, June 9, 2024

Sunday Post #253

 


The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated reviewer book blog, and is a post to recap my bookish and non-bookish things from the last week. I'm also linking up to The Sunday Salon hosted by Deb Nance @Readerbuzz.

It was a hot week (in the upper 90s) at home so I spent a bunch of time watering. It does cool off into the 50s at night, so we are able to open the windows before we go to bed to cool things down. I've had to run the A/C a few hours in the afternoon. 

Had a couple of doctors appointments to take care of. One was a skin check because my cousin, who is a couple of years older than me, was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma after discovering a lump. He's doing well with immunotherapy, just after two treatments the lump is gone. Cancer treatment has come a long way so that a diagnosis like that is no longer an automatic death sentence. At any rate, it gave my sister and I quite a scare so thus the skin check. We all (cousin included) grew up spending our summers swimming in our pool without sunscreen. My mom used to put baby oil on a lay out for a suntan!

We drove out to East Bay San Francisco to help our daughter finish up packing her house. It closes on Tuesday. Will be driving home today. The weather was beautiful. Hot but not as hot as home. I didn't get a lot of reading done.

Read:
(Click on cover for Goodreads link)


Everyone on This Train is a Suspect by Benjamin Stevenson: 4 Stars
Last Girl Breathing by Court Stevens: 4 Stars

Everyone on This Train was a fun mystery, like the previous Benjamin Stevenson book. I also enjoyed Last Girl Breathing even though I wished one thing was different in the end. 

Library Lends:


I downloaded an audio of Closed Casket after seeing Sophia's latest review on the series. Into the Fire is a prequel novella to Brennan's newest coming: You'll Never Find Me. 


How was your week?






21 comments:

  1. I hope you and your sister are healthy, and that your cousin's on his way to a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn Rachel! My mom lathered me with sunscreen religiously as a kid and even added a t shirt in the pool for good measure! But I am glad your skin is healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're around the same age, so I have to think Europeans realized the dangers of sun exposure sooner than we did here in the States. I am too! I'll keep on it too.

      Delete
  3. I think I may need a checkup too. Ever since Jimmy Buffett dies because of skin cancer it is on my mind.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a good idea for everyone, but even more so for us who live in the sunny states like California and Florida!

      Delete
  4. It's a good precaution to be checked. We were sunscreened a lot and we swam a lot. I was a lifeguard in high school and college. But college was an indoor pool. I want to read Into the Fire but I am in a very long hold list at the library.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good you used sunscreen more. We didn't really start using it until we were teenagers. There was a long library list for me too, but I got it quicker than it predicted. Hopefully you get your copy soon! I'm enjoying it.

      Delete
  5. Good for you for being so proactive with the skin check. I've always avoided the sun like the plague, but I still try to go for yearly checks just to be safe. I hope your cousin continues to respond well to treatment. Hope you have a great week, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya. It's scary to think about. I hope so, too! Now I need to get my mammogram out of the way for the year. I hope you have a wonderful week, as well!

      Delete
  6. Those skin checks are important. Can't be too careful especially with family history. It's been getting warm here too. Really nice though. Love the sound of Last Girl Breathing!

    Hope you've had a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little cooler today and I'm thankful! It was an interesting story. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

      Delete
  7. My sister and I spent our summers much as you and your sisters spent yours. My dad and grandma both had some skin cancer troubles. I should also get checked.

    Everyone on the Train is a Suspect sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good idea, plus it's an easy appointment that doesn't take that long. It was a fun listen!

      Delete
  8. That is too hot for this early in the summer. Especially where you live. Eeew! That is scary about your cousin but amazing that the treatment is working so fast. I hope it continues to go well and that your check goes well, too. Stevens doesn't write anymore of those gentle YA books, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is too hot for this early in the year! It cooled down quite a bit so we were low 80s today, more in line with what I expect out here. This is the first time I've read anything by Stevens, I think, so I didn't know she wrote gentle YA books. The mystery was a bit predictable, but I still enjoyed it. Mostly.

      Delete
  9. I hope your checks all come back okay! I am not ready for hot weather but I think we're going to start hitting those temps consistently at this point of the year here. Hope you have a good week and enjoy your books!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is good to check them out. I fear I have a million birthmarks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have red hair and pale-as-a-ghost skin and grew up in Arizona so I have to keep an eye out for skin cancer. Luckily, I have always hated to be hot and sweaty so I rarely went outside. Rather be in the AC reading a book, even as a small child. We had a pool in our yard but the sun would heat the water up so much that I refused to swim in it except at night!!! I only remember one really bad sunburn and that's when we went to San Diego and were out all day at the Zoo and Sea World and no one thought to put any sunblock on me or a hat. My poor scalp was fried to a crisp and when it started peeling it looked like I had dandruff.

    Anyway, hope you get a clean bill of skin health!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad your cousin is doing alright after that diagnosis. I used to run baby oil on me and sit out in the sun too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unfortunately not many wore sunscreen back in the old days ... I didn't and not many I knew did either. But now we're paying for it. I hope you and your sister will be all right & clear of any skin probs. Hard to believe you're in the 90s already, oh my.

    ReplyDelete