Friday, June 28, 2024

Review: Storm Warning by David Bell

 

Storm Warning by David Bell
Publication Date: June 25th 2024 by Berkley
Pages: 364
Source: Publisher 
Rating: ½

My Thoughts:
Jake Powell is heading off Ketchum Island, Florida to move back home to Ohio. Hurricane Kylie is bearing down so he’s trying to beat the storm. As he bids farewell to his friends in the apartment building Jake finds his friend Dallas, the building manager, dead on the floor, clearly murdered. From there it’s a fight for survival as Jake and the residents battle dangers from the storm and from the unknown killer.
 
Storm Warning was a page-turning, action-packed read, but a little one dimensional in characterization. Some of Jake’s decisions defied logic, IMO, but faced with the same chaos, I wonder if I’d handle things any better. I would’ve liked more meat to the mystery, like more potential motives from the characters forced to try and survive together.  Still, I do enjoy a good battling-the-elements kind of thriller and the story was a quick, entertaining read! 

3.5 Stars


Book Description:

A man living on a Florida barrier island must protect his family from both an approaching hurricane and a relentless killer.

Jake Powell is racing to get off the island as a powerful hurricane approaches. When he finds his best friend Dallas, the building manager, dead from a blow to the skull, Jake realizes there’s more than the storm to fear. There’s a murderer on the island, maybe even still inside the nearly abandoned building.

Dallas had repeatedly run afoul of the wealthy owners of the building by complaining about code violations and the precarious state of the condos. But he’d also once told Jake that every resident had a secret they’d come to Florida to escape. Had one of them killed to conceal their sins? As a dozen people shelter together in hopes of surviving the deadly hurricane, a second murder makes it all too clear: one of them is a dangerous killer.


7 comments:

  1. Ah, sorry to hear it's kinda one-dimensional. That's pretty disappointing. I find that to be a common problem (at least for me) when picking up new thrillers. The plot might be high-stakes, but the characters really need to be solid for me to care about those stakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A murderer on an island is always a fun premise...especially with a storm approaching. I wish this one had been a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it was good anyway for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if it wasn't perfect, at least you were entertained. I often can be critical of characters' choices, but wonder how I would handle the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of this one but it did entertain you.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like it was a quick and easy read, which perhaps was why it was a bit one-dimensional and not as detailed as it could have been. Nice review, Rachel. I'm glad you still enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have enjoyed Bell previously. I am glad despite some issues that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete