Monday, July 15, 2024

Review: The Burning by Linda Castillo

 

The Burning (Kate Burkholder #16) by Linda Castillo
Publication Date: July 9th 2024 by Minotaur Books & Macmillan Audio
Pages: 320
Audio Book Length: 9hrs 31min
Narrator: Kathleen McInerney
Source: Publishers
Rating: ½

My Thoughts:
Kate is called to a grisly murder, a man burned at the stake. As Kate investigates, she finds a lot of potential suspects due to the victim's background. Unfortunately, one of the connections is personal to Kate and a BCI Agent makes waves about her being biased. Tomasetti is also brought into this complicated case.
 
The town of Painters Mill is a small one, so Kate is a very hands-on Chief of Police, investigating suspects and following up on leads right along with her officers. I really like Kate and her officers: Glock, Mona, Skid, and Pickles. They’re a good team, more than just work colleagues.

I was addicted from page one, but man Kate made several TSTL decisions that were completely frustrating! It’s hard to believe a seasoned police chief making such stupid and rash decisions, especially when she keeps getting her ass handed to her!

The Burning is book sixteen in the Kate Burkholder series, but could be read as a standalone. Each book focuses on a case that’s solved by the end. There is the romance between Kate and Tomasetti that begins in book one. I read the first two books in the series and then skipped ahead to book fifteen and sixteen, but I’d like to go back and work my way through the rest of the books at some point.

I’ve listened to the series from the start and really enjoyed Kathleen McInerney’s performance! Her accents and performance of Deitsch accents are well done. I listened at my usual 1.5x normal speed.


3.5 Stars


Book Description

Chief of Police Kate Burkholder investigates a gruesome murder that reveals a little-known chapter of early Amish history in this new installment of the bestselling series by Linda Castillo.

Newlywed Chief of Police Kate Burkholder is awakened by an urgent midnight call summoning her to a suspicious fire in the woods. When she arrives at the scene, she discovers a charred body. According to the coroner, the deceased, an Amish man named Milan Swanz, was chained to a stake and burned alive. It is an appalling and eerily symbolic crime against an upstanding husband and father.

Kate knows all too well that the Amish prefer to handle their problems without interference from the outside world, and no one will speak about the murdered man. From what she’s able to piece together, Swanz led a deeply troubled life and had recently been excommunicated. But if that’s the case, why are the Amish so reluctant to talk about him? Are they protecting the memory of one of their own? Or are they afraid of something they dare not share?

When her own brother is implicated in the case, Kate finds herself not only at odds with the Amish, the world of which she was once a part, but also the English community and her counterparts in law enforcement. The investigation takes a violent turn when Kate’s life is threatened by a mysterious stranger.

To uncover the truth about the death of Milan Swanz, Kate must dive deep into the Anabaptist culture, peering into all the dark corners of its history, only to uncover a secret legacy that shatters everything she thought she knew about the Amish themselves―and her own roots.


 

16 comments:

  1. I hate when otherwise intelligent characters make stupid decisions! But I'm still looking forward to reading this one. This is one of the few series where I actually don't have to go back and get caught up. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was still a good installment, despite some of my frustrations with Kate! I still like her and the series! Nice! I look forward to your thoughts, Lark!

      Delete
  2. The small-town setting and the complex murder investigation sound gripping. It's good to know it can be read as a standalone despite being the sixteenth book in the series. The audiobook narration by Kathleen McInerney sounds top-notch too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's does a great job with this series! It was intense in parts!

      Delete
  3. I'm enjoying a small town police murder mystery right now so the sound of this series has me interested. Too bad she pulled some dumb moves. I'm guessing its not always like that or you wouldn't be into this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I still love this series and I look forward to the next one!

      Delete
  4. Ugh, it's so frustrating when a character continues to make dumb/reckless decisions. Especially when, in this case, she is a police chief and an experienced law enforcement officer. It strains believability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wanted to shake Kate a few times, but I still enjoy the series even so.

      Delete
  5. TSTL decisions are frustrating, especially when the character should know better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Kate definitely should've known better. Still, it's a great series that I recommend!

      Delete
  6. So, I had to google TSTL - made me laugh. I don't know if I have ever seen you be so fired up about a character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes! I was shaking my head at her actions a few times while reading! Just ask my husband. Still, with all that I look forward to the next book. :)

      Delete
  7. Being burned at the stake would be grisly. Whew, that sounds like a bad way to go.

    My internet is finally fixed and I am making my way through everyone's blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, book16! But good it works without the rest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it's ok to read the first couple and skip around after that. Each mystery is solved by the end.

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a series my mom would really like. I'll be sure to share it with her. Glad you're still enjoying it this far into the series!

    ReplyDelete