Thursday, February 1, 2024

Audiobook Review: The Search Party by Hannah Richell

 
The Search Party by Hannah Richell

The Search Party by Hannah Richell
Publication Date: January 16th 2024 by Simon & Schuster Audio
Pages: 338
Audio Book Length: 10hrs 12 mins
Narrators: Beth Eyre & Jamie Parker
Source: Publisher 
Rating: 
Links: Amazon Barnes & Noble | Kobo Libro.fm | Audible | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
The story takes off with old friends reuniting as Annie and Max are set to open their glamping business on the coast of picturesque Cornwall. It sounded gorgeous!

There are four couples: Annie and Max with their son, Kip. Suze and Jim with their three kids, Kira and her partner, Fred, with their 5-month-old baby, and Dominic and Tanya with their three kids. It’s apparent as all arrive that there are tensions between them, and the reasons why slowly are revealed as the story goes on.

Things become even more strained the first night when a scuffle between the children leads to fights between parents and then one in the group goes missing. They embark on a frantic search all the while trying to find out what happened. As a parent I could feel their desperation! Their search is hampered by an intense storm bearing down.

The story is told in alternating POVs: Annie, Max, Jim, Kira, Dominic, Tanya, Scarlett, and Kip. The present is told as each party is being questioned by the police and in the past as they flash back to the unfolding events. It’s fun to guess correctly at some of the twists and to be surprised by others. I thoroughly enjoyed this gripping tale! The relationships were just as interesting as the mystery! I rooted for some characters and hated on others! I was pleased with how it all turned out. Although, I do think one character should’ve been a lot more apologetic!

I listened to the audio with Beth Eyre performing the female POVs and Jamie Parker performing the male. Both were excellent and enhanced my enjoyment of this riveting mystery! I listened to the story straight through in one day at my usual 1.5x normal speed.

4 Stars



Book Description:

A spellbinding locked-room mystery about a glamping trip gone horribly wrong when a powerful storm leaves the participants stranded and forced to confront long-held secrets and a shocking disappearance.

Max and Annie Kingsley have left the London rat race with their twelve-year-old son to set up a glamping site in the wilds of Cornwall. Eager for a dry run ahead of their opening, they invite three old university friends and their families for a long-needed reunion. But the festivities soon go awry as tensions arise between the children (and subsequently their parents), explosive secrets come to light, and a sudden storm moves in, cutting them off from help as one in the group disappears.

Moving between the police investigation, a hospital room, and the catastrophic weekend, The Search Party is a propulsive and twisty destination thriller about the tenuous bonds of friendship and the lengths parents will go to protect their children—perfect for fans of Ruth Ware and Lucy Foley.


 

16 comments:

  1. I used to like camping when I was younger but now I would need a cabin with hot and cold running water and a bathroom. lol This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how those comforts aren't so important when you're younger, lol! It was really good!

      Delete
  2. I'd love to go glamping on the coast of Cornwall! I could take this book along to read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parent-kid drama that turns into a missing person mystery. Sounds interesting, and it seems it was told well too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like seaside dramas/thrillers that skip around in POV. I think that really ups the ante, for some reason! Sounds like there's a good cast of characters here, and I love the Cornish coast, so might need this one in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the story and the setting! Hope you do too if you decide to pick it up. :)

      Delete
  5. ok I just started reading this one so I am not going to read the review deeply. I'm glad to see your rating though.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dunno if I have listened to those narrators before.
    The book sounds good

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover of it makes it look really fetching. I can see why you listened to it straight through. Cornwall too! yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good! I liked the setting, too. It's a place I want to visit.

      Delete
  8. That's a lot of POV's but I am definitely curious. Sounds like a mystery I'd enjoy.

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually a little worried if there's so many POVs, but it worked well here! :)

      Delete