Thursday, February 8, 2024

Review: Barbarian's Touch by Ruby Dixon

 

Barbarian's Touch (Ice Planet Barbarians #7)  by Ruby Dixon
Publication Date: January 2nd 2024 by Berkley (special edition) 
Pages: 339
Source: Publisher 
Rating: 

My Thoughts:
Barbarian’s Touch is book seven in the series. It’s best to start at the beginning, even though each book focuses on a specific couple. The human women and sa-khui have come together, but it’s been an ongoing process best experienced in order.
 
Kira, one of the Earth women, and the sa-khui men venture back to the crashed spaceship to awaken two of the women in stasis. Lila wakes up and has no idea where she is, but she can’t hear. Her cochlear implant is gone and she’s terrified. The situation is disturbing and not being able to communicate with the others adds to the panic. Fortunately, she has her sister Maddie to translate in sign language.
 
A few of the male aliens are focused intensely on Lila and Maddie, which is unsettling. Little do they know, the sa-khui men are anxious to find a mate and there are few females. The journey back to the tribal caves is cold and treacherous, so they both rely on the aliens for survival. In route, one of sa-khui males kidnaps Lila. She’s afraid he’ll start to make demands if she doesn’t do something soon, so she plans her escape. I was enraged in Lila’s behalf!
 
Each couple has had a unique journey with obstacles to overcome. Being deaf, Lila faced her own set of challenges, and I was impressed by how she handled it all! Rokan was amazing and supportive, giving Lila space to make her own choices and helping her learn to survive on her own. It was empowering and I love how it helped her confidence grow.  I adored both Rokan and Lila so much! This was a slow burn romance, but as with the previous books, this is extra-spicy, hot stuff!

There was a new, exciting discovery that I think is wonderful and should enhance living on “Not-Hoth”.

I felt like Barbarian’s Touch was a bit of a reset/refresh, as Lila and Maddie have just been awakened and are coming to grips with being taken from Earth.

I read/listened to the first few books a while back, so I was excited about the Berkley Special Editions. I love their new, gorgeous covers and extras! This copy had an extended epilogue and a special guide of characters with descriptions, which is helpful. I also really appreciated the author’s note describing her own personal experience with hearing loss.

4 Stars



Book Description:
The next novel in the Ice Planet Barbarians series, an international publishing phenomenon—now in a special print edition with a bonus new epilogue!

Lila has never been more frightened in her life, but when Rokan appears, everything changes.

When I wake up on the ice planet, I’m scared of This place is cold, silent, and the locals look more like blue devils than aliens. To make matters worse, one of the strangers decides I’m going to be his girlfriend and kidnaps me away from my sister. I’m completely and utterly alone. What’s a girl to do?

Well, this girl escapes.

Of course, that means I go from the frying pan into the fire, and my situation gets even more dangerous. Just when I have no hope left, a new hero shows up. Sure, he’s blue, horned, and has a tail. He’s also fierce, protective, makes me purr...and thinks I'm perfect.

But is what we have real or just a mating instinct?


 

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The new covers are so pretty! I love that Lila is doing sign language on the cover! It fits with the story perfectly!

      Delete
  2. I've read a couple books by this author and enjoyed them.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even imagine the fear that gal had waking up on an alien planet with aliens focused on her and her not having her hearing sense. Sounds like a really good story and nice that it hits strongly so deep in the series. I do love the special print editions that Berkley has done though I've not picked them up yet.

    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Lila's story was wonderful! Hope you enjoy the series if you decide to pick it up, Sophia!

      Delete
  4. I enjoy these books but they kinda feel the same sometimes. So I have to really space them out. But glad this one was such a win for you.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do sort of follow a similar formula, but I feel like characters and challenges they faced were unique. Still, I didn't read them one right after the other except for the first three in the beginning.

      Delete
  5. I love this series! Rokan is such a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been enjoying it! It has a bunch of spice, but I liked that it tackled some serious issues, too! Rokan was the sweetest!

      Delete
  6. That sounds good. I like a good alien romance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After seven books, I can imagine that reset could be necessary to keep it fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a series I've been meaning to start for ages but just haven't managed to fit it in yet. Glad to see Dixon manages to keep it fresh at more than half a dozen books into the series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read and enjoyed the first two, I have book 3 on my TBR shelf and can't wait to get to them all! Glad this one was good too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really need to try this series one of these days. They just sound like fun reads.

    ReplyDelete