Thursday, February 29, 2024

Review: The Mysterious Case of the Alperton Angels by Janice Hallett

 


The Mysterious Case of the Alperton Angels by Janice Hallett
Publication Date: January 23rd 2024 by Atria Books
Pages: 432
Source: Publisher
Rating: 

My Thoughts:
Amanda Bailey, a true crime writer, is covering an old case where members of a cult convinced two teenagers that their unborn child was the anti-Christ and needed to be sacrificed. Thankfully, the young mother sobers and escapes the cult with her baby before that happens. Now that baby is turning eighteen, and Amanda’s bosses think that will stir up interest in their planned new series covering the old case. Unfortunately for Amanda, she’s paired up with an old colleague, Oliver, a fellow reporter with whom she has a history with. It's not a good history. I was stunned by that reveal and how it factored in things played out!

The Mysterious Case of the Alperton Angels was a unique kind of story recounted in text messages, WhatsApp convos, emails, transcribed interviews, book excerpts, etc. Took a bit to get into and to sort out the many players. It was a gradual build of intensity, spooky in parts, and not what I was expecting. Weird, scary stuff!  A bit tragic, but boy, what a page turner as things wrapped up!

4 Stars


Book Description:

Everyone knows the story of the Alperton Angels: the cult who brainwashed a teenage girl into believing her baby was the anti-Christ. When the girl came to her senses and called the police, the Angels committed suicide and mother and baby disappeared.

Now, true crime author Amanda Bailey is looking to revive her career by writing a book on the case. The Alperton baby has turned eighteen; finding them will be the scoop of the year. But rival author Oliver Menzies is just as smart, better connected, and also on the baby’s trail.

As Amanda and Oliver are forced to collaborate, they realize that the truth about the Angels is much darker and stranger than they’d ever imagined, and in pursuit of the story they risk becoming part of it.


10 comments:

  1. Creepy.I wonder what happened to them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, Rachel. I haven't read this one yet, but did read her first book and Christmas novella. It is the back story that really creeps me out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I like it when it's all messages and texts. I'm glad you enjoyed it pretty well after you got going.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. The titles gives off very old school, classic Agatha Christie vibes, but it's obvious from your review that this very much a contemporary novel. The two just don't match in my head. Haha. Glad this one worked for you once you adjusted to the stylized narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually like epistolary novels like this one when they're done well. Makes for a fun change. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like books that mix in other types of media. Keeps it interesting for me. I get a little annoyed with the FWD, FWD, etc with emails though

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting how the story was laid out. I'll have to check my library.

    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the reveal has me curious. Great review. I think I would enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love when they tell a story through all the different methods like this one does. Although this isn't my type of read, I think one of my aunts likes this type, so I'll share your review with her. Great review!

    ReplyDelete