Thursday, August 15, 2024

Review: 15 Summers Later by RaeAnne Thayne

 

15 Summers Later by RaeAnne Thayne
Publication Date: June 18th 2024 by Canary Street Press
Pages: 352
Source: Publisher 
Rating: ½
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Libro.fm | Audible | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
Ava and Madison survived and escaped a cult/prepper group when they were teenagers. Both have moved on, but Ava’s book detailing the experience brings unwelcome attention and Madison is furious. Why would Ava write this book? Ava’s not comfortable with sharing the past either, so I wasn’t sure why she wrote the book, but all is revealed as the story goes on.
 
Madison sustained lasting physical damage but has worked hard to overcome her trauma. I loved that her main focus in life was helping animals by running a rescue shelter.  Ava’s book has become a national best seller, but she’s put her book tour off because her marriage is in trouble. She needs time back home to lick her wounds and figure out what to do next.
 
The sisters really had a traumatic experience, and it was lucky they had each other to help them get through it and survive the escape! My heart went out to them, and I was enraged over how they came to be in the situation in the first place!
 
15 Summers Later was part romance, with Madison finding love and Ava sorting out her marriage-in-crisis, and part women’s fiction with the sisters reconciling the past and mending their relationship. I adored every minute!

4.5 Stars


Book Description:

15 summers ago, everything changed…

Ava Howell seemed to have it all. She moved away from Emerald Creek, Idaho, married the love of her life and published a bestselling memoir. But she never expected that her husband would feel so betrayed by a secret from her past—the truth of what happened to her and her sister all those years ago—that he’d walk away. Now Ava is back home and trying to move on with the only person who can truly understand…

Following years of healing, Madison Howell is finally happy. After college she built a no-kill shelter where she works with animals every day, and she’s in love with the town veterinarian, Dr. Luke Gentry. But she can’t ever bring herself to tell him. Years ago, his dad died protecting Madi and her sister, so how could he ever love her back?

With the truth laid bare, and the past that Ava and Madison have worked so hard to leave behind threatening everything they have built for themselves, the Howell sisters’ reunion is bittersweet. And as Ava and Madi attempt to remedy the rifts in their lives and reconcile their futures, they must face the demons of their past together.


15 comments:

  1. I'm listening to this one now and am at the 30% mark. I like the way their past is being doled out in bits and pieces. Having two sisters, I can't imagine feeling so betrayed by one of them, like Maddy does with Ava. I'm looking forward to them finding there way again. And Luke is such a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wasn't too happy with Ava at first until all was explained. I look forward to your thoughts, Tanya!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this author but I might have a freebie by her. Glad to see your positive review!

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read this, I felt like writing the book ended up being very therapeutic for Ava, and I liked how the readers reacted, how much solace they found in her story. The horrors they experienced! But they really grew into rather strong women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I think it was cathartic for Ava to write those words down and for Maddy to finally read them. I was happy they had each other and sorted their differences out!

      Delete
  4. I don't know why, but I'm always intrigued by cult settings. Probably because I can't wrap my brain around how people get so caught up in them. Can't wait to check this book out. It sounds really good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer feels from that cover. I am not looking forward to fall

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a lovely blend of genres. I've read mostly holiday books by this author and should really try others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like it could be a very good read. I always seem to find books with characters who have escaped a cult interesting. Thanks for sharing this!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete