Friday, August 9, 2024

Review: Agony Hill by Sarah Stewart Taylor

 

Agony Hill (Franklin Warren #1) by Sarah Steward Taylor
Publication Date: August 6th 2024 by Minotaur Books
Pages: 320
Source: Publisher 
Rating: ½
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble |  Kobo | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
It’s August of 1965, and Frank Warren has transferred to Bethany, Vermont as a Detective for the State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation. After suffering a tragedy, the new position and move is a welcome change for Detective Warren.
 
Right away Warren is called out when a man dies in fire at one of the farms. At first glance, suicide is suspected, but Warren feels there’s might be more. Weber, a back-to-the-land farmer, was not well-liked man. His wife’s reactions to his death isn’t as expected, but from all accounts the Weber family is regarded as a bit odd.
 
Warren is a newcomer, so we’re introduced to the town and inhabitants through his eyes.  But we also get the perspective of Alice Bellows, Warren’s neighbor, a longtime resident and bit of an amateur sleuth, as well.  Alice has her own investigation(s), and I’m intrigued by her mysterious past and how it might play out in future stories. Sylvie Weber (Hugh’s widow) also has a POV. Pieces of the past revealed through her recollections. She’s an interesting character and I hope to see more of her and her children in the coming books.
 
Agony Hill was engrossing from the first page! The characters, time period, and setting of Vermont were vividly portrayed! I felt immersed in the story as Detective Warren pieced together all the facts and got to the truth. I liked seeing the relationships forming between Warren, his junior partner, Pinky, and other townsfolk. One relationship I’m especially interested in even though it’s been put in the “impossible” column for now. I'm eager for the next installment!

4.5 Stars


Book Description:

Set in rural Vermont in the volatile 1960s, Agony Hill is the first novel in a new historical series full of vivid New England atmosphere and the deeply drawn characters that are Sarah Stewart Taylor's trademark.

In the hot summer of 1965, Bostonian Franklin Warren arrives in Bethany, Vermont, to take a position as a detective with the state police. Warren's new home is on the verge of monumental change; the interstates under construction will bring new people, new opportunities, and new problems to Vermont, and the Cold War and protests against the war in Vietnam have finally reached the dirt roads and rolling pastures of Bethany.

Warren has barely unpacked when he's called up to a remote farm on Agony Hill. Former New Yorker and Back-to-the-Lander Hugh Weber seems to have set fire to his barn and himself, with the door barred from the inside, but things aren’t adding up for Warren. The people of Bethany—from Weber’s enigmatic wife to Warren's neighbor, widow and amateur detective Alice Bellows — clearly have secrets they’d like to keep, but Warren can’t tell if the truth about Weber’s death is one of them. As he gets to know his new home and grapples with the tragedy that brought him there, Warren is drawn to the people and traditions of small town Vermont, even as he finds darkness amidst the beauty.

11 comments:

  1. Oh this really does sound like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story sounds engrossing and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I probably would have liked this and I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I read the prequel novella which was mostly Alice Bellows. I think with the Detective also I would have enjoyed it more. Historical can be tricky for me sometime too.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. The setting and the '60's time period are a draw, but so is a detective settling into a new town and a new case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very interesting start to a new series. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds good. I am jumping between romances and thrillers, so I'll add this to my list..lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK I will add that one to my TBR Rachel! I love mysteries/thrillers and especially when it happens in the (not so far) past!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't read many books set in Vermont. I'd read this for the setting too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rural Vermont in the 60s is not at time or place I am too familiar with. That would be interesting in and of itself, but it sounds like the mystery and characters were quite compelling as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting time. I do like Vermont as a setting too

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've not heard of this author before, but I do like the sound of this one. A bit of a historical story with a crime/mystery, sounds wonderful. Nice review, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete