Friday, July 26, 2013

Review: Left Drowning by Jessica Park

Left Drowning

Left Drowning by Jessica Park
Published July 16th 2013 by Skyscape
Purchase Links: Amazon / B&N
About the book:
What does it take to rise from life’s depths, swim against the current, and breathe?

Weighted down by the loss of her parents, Blythe McGuire struggles to keep her head above water as she trudges through her last year at Matthews College. Then a chance meeting sends Blythe crashing into something she doesn’t expect—an undeniable attraction to a dark-haired senior named Chris Shepherd, whose past may be even more complicated than her own. As their relationship deepens, Chris pulls Blythe out of the stupor she’s been in since the night a fire took half her family. She begins to heal, and even, haltingly, to love this guy who helps her find new paths to pleasure and self-discovery. But as Blythe moves into calmer waters, she realizes Chris is the one still strangled by his family’s traumatic history. As dark currents threaten to pull him under, Blythe may be the only person who can keep him from drowning.

This book is intended for mature audiences due to strong language and sexual content.
My Thoughts:
I read a lot of fantastic books throughout the year. But once in a while I will come across a book that is so fantastic that it renders me speechless. A book that works a number on my emotions and leaves me utterly drained – but in a blissfully happy way. A rare book that will keep me up late because I just can’t bare to put it down and have to finish it. And that is what Jessica Park did to me with Left Drowning. This was the first book I’ve ready by this author – but it will certainly not be the last.

We start the book meeting Blythe. She’s on her way home from a party in a drunken haze. This has been her coping mechanism for her first few years of college while she refuses to deal with her tragic past.

Then one day she meets the fun-loving siblings who will change everything in her world. Eric & Estelle, the twins. Sabin, the out-going and hilarious flirt. And the oldest, Chris, who she immediately connects with on a level deeper than anyone in her life. It’s the friendships of these awesome people that help Blythe to start healing and dealing with her past. In addition – her love and connection with Chris continues to grow the more time she spends with him, despite his constant reminders that she’s too good for him and more than he’s ready for.

Not to mention the sexual tension and steam between them is HOT! But no matter his growing feelings for her, Chris continues to hold back and keep his past from her. Everything isn’t exactly what it seems, and it’s clear these siblings have suffered their own tragic past – but have fought to get past it. Blythe knows there’s more to their story but doesn’t question them. She’s worked hard to make peace with her past, and she wants nothing more than to help Chris get past his – whatever it may be. But he’s determined to only move into the future, never thinking about or dealing with those demons that haunt him.

I was on a spectacular high through most of this book, loving every beautiful written word. To only come CRASHING down, my heart wrecked by a certain turn of events. I understood later the authors reasoning, and it was completely justified. My advice to readers is keep an open mind. My friend told me the same thing while reading this book, and she was right. It’s worth every gut-wrenching minute.

I also loved how the author wrapped everything up in the end – bringing all the pieces together to fit like a puzzle. I had figured out some of the pieces early in the book, but it was brilliant how it all came together in the end. This author knows how to write – her style is beautiful and riveting. She pulled me in immediately and I couldn’t get enough. My emotions were all over the place, and I’m still on a high from finishing it. It was refreshing to read such a different storyline from anything I’ve read lately, but it still had all of the elements I love in a book – love, friendship, humor, sex, suspense, angst. It’s a book that I won’t soon forget!
5 Suns

No comments:

Post a Comment