Friday, January 28, 2022

Review: Weather Girl by Rachel Lynn Solomon

 

Weather Girl by Rachel Lynn Solomon
Publication Date: January 11th 2022 by Berkley & Penguin Audio
Pages: 352
Source: Publisher & Purchased Audiobook
Rating: ½
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Audible | Kobo | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
Ari Abrams thought it was a dream come true when she was hired as a TV weatherwoman at KSEA to work alongside her idol, Torrance Hale, the famous Seattle weather broadcaster. Ari’s loved the weather even since she can remember but working with Torrance has been less than ideal. Instead of getting the mentoring she wanted, Torrance is too caught up bickering with her ex-husband, Seth Hale, one of the manager’s at KSEA.

However, at Christmas/holiday party, Ari witnesses a moment of longing between Torrance and Seth before it all goes to hell. When their fighting reaches a crescendo, Ari teams up with sportscaster, Russell Barringer to help get Torrance and Seth back together again hoping to eliminate the toxic work environment the Hale’s have created.

Soon Ari and Russell are meeting up, making plans, and getting closer.  Ari’s always found Russell attractive, but she’s surprised how easy it is to confide in him and just be herself. Struggling with depression it’s not something Ari’s had an easy time of in the past.

Ari was such sweet, spunky, and likable character!  Her struggles with depression felt real and honest. Being raised by a mother who didn’t want to acknowledge her own depression, at the detriment of her kids and relationships, made Ari hesitant to open up about her condition. But with Russell Ari didn’t feel like she always had to be the bright and shiny version of herself.

I adored Russell, too! He was a sweetheart, but he had his own issues, as most of us do. I loved that they helped each other overcome some of the self-doubts and insecurities that came with each their histories.

As a side point, I’m a little obsessed with the weather, and like Ari, I’m gleeful when it rains. I find the clouds and rain mesmerizing, so I loved all the weather talk, especially being set in Seattle where it rains a bunch. I guess that comes from living in Southern California where rain is a rarity! I’ve been told I wouldn’t feel the same way if I actually lived in the Pacific Northwest, but I’ll never believe it, lol!

Weather Girl was such a delightful story that filled me with joy! The romance was slow burn and with oodles of chemistry, but it also felt true to life. Neither Ari or Russell was portrayed as perfect, physically, or otherwise and it made their romance more relatable.

This is the second Rachel Lynn Solomon story I’ve read and loved! I look forward to whatever she comes up with next!

 4.5 Stars


Book Description:

A TV meteorologist and a sports reporter scheme to reunite their divorced bosses with unforecasted results in this charming romantic comedy from the author of The Ex Talk.

Ari Abrams has always been fascinated by the weather, and she loves almost everything about her job as a TV meteorologist. Her boss, legendary Seattle weatherwoman Torrance Hale, is too distracted by her tempestuous relationship with her ex-husband, the station’s news director, to give Ari the mentorship she wants. Ari, who runs on sunshine and optimism, is at her wits’ end. The only person who seems to understand how she feels is sweet but reserved sports reporter Russell Barringer.

In the aftermath of a disastrous holiday party, Ari and Russell decide to team up to solve their bosses’ relationship issues. Between secret gifts and double dates, they start nudging their bosses back together. But their well-meaning meddling backfires when the real chemistry builds between Ari and Russell.

Working closely with Russell means allowing him to get to know parts of herself that Ari keeps hidden from everyone. Will he be able to embrace her dark clouds as well as her clear skies?

26 comments:

  1. I’m sold. Thank you. Adding it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ari and Russell sound like a very fun team. I've got this one on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the first one and I thought hard about this one. I should have as I also love the weather.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy it, Anne. I sometimes pass on one that I end up regretting, but then I just get a library copy. Can't wait to see what you think!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a lovely romance.

    I used to live in FL and loved the afternoon thunderstorms but now I am in the PNW and the rain can wear you down after weeks of it lol It also gets super muddy and that's no fun with dogs.

    What I do love though, is in the winter, the mornings start with a heavy fog that filters though the mountains and it's really interesting. It doesn't rain at all in the summer though.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely! I guess several weeks of rain would be tough, and though I don't have dogs I do like to get outside to run and hike so I can understand that the mud wouldn't be fun. The fog sounds lovely!

      Delete
  5. I haven’t read this but it does sound like a pretty good book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like rain, and snow for that matter, if I have nowhere to be. The pitter patter on the window, the fresh crisp scent, but no fun having to be out in it. Russell owned me. He was a very different kind of hero, and his relationship with his daughter was precious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It sucks if you have to commute in it! It's excellent reading weather. Yes, Russell was an absolute sweetheart!

      Delete
  7. I read this last week and just adored it. Your review is excellent, you highlighted the best parts of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great review and it does look like a fun book.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun interspersed with heavier issues. Just the right balance.

      Delete
  9. After reading about a weather gal character and her work on weather forecasting in Secrets of Snow, I think I'd love Ari.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy this one, Sophia. It made me long for some rain and more!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. It was a cute story, but also one with heavier issues featured. I loved it! :)

      Delete
  11. I see so many raves for Rachel Solomon. (I know Sam loves her!) It sounds like she did a great job reflecting both Ari's and Russell's issues and how they helped each other. Too often there is a "love fixes all" resolution which just isn't realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful review Rachel. I am looking forward to meeting Ari and Russell when I get a copy of this book. You have made them so real.

    ReplyDelete